News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

french hussar uniform

Roeland

Hello gents,

I need a little help on this hussar uniform.

It has been offered as a uniform from a French ''Hussard de la Garde'' from the second empire.

However I can't find this in any book I have neither on the internet.

I did found a similar uniform, with the difference that the ''ropes'' acros the uniform aren't black but white.

Anyone any idea?

Thanks.

kind regards,

Roeland

hussardgarde.jpg

Hello noir7,

thank you for your reply.

I think the seller is selling fake uniforms and calls them original and genuine.

Here is a general kepie he is selling, doesn't look like it should be either:

kepiegeneralfake.jpg

kind regards,

Roeland

Edited by Roeland

The Guard used the 5 buttons for their braid (as opposed to three) and i thought their braid facings were white.

However, this may well be a Guard ordinance tunic. I did a LOT of looking through old magazines and prints etc. on-line and the closest I have come is 1st regt. line Hussars 2nd Empire and 1880s.

I shall continue looking.

See the link below: 'Uniformes les Francaise etc.' towards the

bottom.

http://grosser-generalstab.de/adjutant.html

Sorry for the late reply, but from memory, this jacket is a IIIrd Republic (so after the Second Empire) undress pelisse for light cavalry (Hussards or Chasseurs à Cheval) officer.

This is certainly not from the Imperial Guard, as its two light cavalry regiments (Guides and Chasseurs à Cheval) wore green hussars-style jackets and pelisses.

I will be able to tell you more after looking through my files this week-end.

Eric

• 2 years later...

That uniform belongs to the Chasseurs d'Afrique, and appears to be the post 1860 Pelisse for officers. There were NO Hussards in the Imperial Guard Cavalry. The kepi looks like a cheapo nasty very very bad repro