News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Legion of Honneur Commandeur

2dresq

Besides the case, I don't know where there might be maker marks on the medal itself. I mostly collect imperial German and Third Reich militaria.

Can you point me to a location on the cross or clasp that might be a maker mark?

Regards,

JustinG

SUPERB! :love::cheers:

Justin,

Look on the reverse, at the suspension under the wreath, for any markings (example might be a diamond) and also under the bottom of the star, where the wreath bow is tied. Might be an indentaion that resembles a boar head or other marks. Search LoH's here and you should find a good thread or two on maker's.

Congrats! :beer:

Tim

• 1 month later...

Hello

From the looks of that badge, and provided it is same period as the case, I would think it is gold. You should be able to spot the gold hallmark (an eagle's head) somewhere on the metal parts of the obverse or the reverse. Most often you will find it on the ribbon's end dangling from the lower part of the laurel wreath.

If you find a "boar's head" hallmark similar to the one shown by Tim B the metal is silver gilt. Commander's badges in silver gilt have existed since Napoleon III and possibly earlier, but a commander's level was sufficiently advanced to warrant a gold badge in the opinion of most recipients. Don't forget that Frenchmen have to buy their insigna, recipients are given a diploma certifying their right to wear them.

Sincerely

Veteran

Edited by Veteran