News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Knights of Pythias fob

Hauptmann

Hi all,

Was over in Devils Lake these last few days staying at a very nice lakefront resort with my wife Kim in order to spend more time with her. I was out of state for a couple of weeks and out of town for most of the week before I left. She works for Schwans and her route is in DL so she's away all week and I generally only see her on weekends. Was a good chance to spend some extra time with her.

Anyhow I hit a few antique shops, an auction and a coin shop while I was over there. Tried a second coin shop three times but sadly the owner seemed more intro'd in just about anything but being there to do business as on the first day I was told she only stayed open till 3 p.m. Needless to say I was there a bit after 3:00 as I'd not known this. Plus hours and phone numbers are not posted so there's no way to tell. I came back the second day but due to things beyond my control didn't get there till about ten till 3. She was in the office counting out another customers coins (to fill books) and so didn't have time for little ole me. She said to come back the next day (my last in town) earlier than before. So I was there at about 12:40 p.m. and of course she was out to lunch.2014.gif So I returned at 2 p.m. only to find out from the tailor next door that she'd decided to go get her hair done and left early!speechless.gifspeechless1.gif Must be nice to run a business and not have to be concerned about being there to serve customers. I guess she makes far too much money doing whatever it is she does... which doesn't seem to be running the coin shop on a regular basis.banger.gif

Anyhow I did manage to pick up three items at the other coin shop which was literally within walking distance of the one run by the phantom owner. The gent there was extremely nice, conversational and we got on famously. Methinks I've finally found a good coin shop to spend time (and my money) at after searching up here for several years now.

One item it to add to one of my many other hobbies... horology... in my case the collecting and study of pocket watches, clocks, etc. It is a salesman's watch case for a 16 size pocket watch. For those who don't know this is a case which has a crystal on both sides so not only the face of the watch but also it's movement can be viewed. It's called a salesman's case as this was a popular way for watch sellers to show off their wares. I also got an 1780 1 Reale coin in very nice condition. But to top it all off I got an absolutely beautiful pocket watch fob. When I saw it I assumed it was some fraternal or masonic organization... Knights of something or other due to the design and knight's helmet motif.

So once I got home and did some research I believe I've nailed it down as a fob for the Knight's of Pythias. The only similar example (mine has more on it... see comparison pics) runs $596.00!!!!speechless1.gifspeechless1.gif I about fell off my chair when I saw that! I've no idea if this is an accurate price or not but it sure would be nice.

So hoping to find more information on it. The metal does indeed appear to be gold but no idea of karat, etc., and I've been unable to find any marks on it so far to indicate same. But this is what is in the description for the nearly identical one I found online:

Vintage 14k Gold 3D Knight of Pythias Masonic Watch Fob

Tremendous vintage 14k yellow gold and onyx 3D Knights of Pythias watch gob with garnet cross

Color: Yellow Condition: Pre-Owned

Gram Weight: 19.80 Size: 25mm x 43mm

Anyhow without further ado... here are the pics. First I'll show mine and then the one that goes with the above description.

Mine:

Here's the definition of the Latin motto:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_hoc_signo_vinces

Edited by Hauptman

As far as the letters this is what I found:

The "K.S.H.T.W.S.S.T." symbol on a headstone indicates that the person had completed the crytic degrees of the York Rite and was a "Royal Arch Mason" in the York Rite Degrees of Freemasonry.

This from:

http://malaysia.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061103162007AArqsIQ

Keep in mind this looks TONS better in person. I never seem able to have the time to experiment and fiddle with my scanner settings and such but it has much more of a real gold look to it... onyx for the black parts of the cross, etc. It's extremely well made... with the head of the knight having a hinge on it so it can basically nod his head a bit forward and back, and also the visor has some movement as well. It's just amazingly well made for what it is.

Edited by Hauptman

• 1 month later...