News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Family military history

Ed_Haynes

Pvt. Sheldon Harrison Haynes, 2nd WV Volunteer Cavalry

1- Civil War Campaign Medal (unnumbered), issued in 1965 by the Adjutant General (and thanks to congressional pressure - public thanks to Sen. Robert Byrd, D-WV)

2- West Virginia Soldiers' Medal, for Combat Service - named "SHELTON HANES, 2nd REG CAV VOLs" - Issued in 1965 from the stock of unclaimed medals still held by the state of West Virginia

This is my great-grandfather.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Captain Richard Renick Dickson, USAR

1- Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal - No 63281

2- Allied Victory Medal

3- American Theater Campaign Medal (WWII)

4- WWII Victory Medal

This is my uncle.

An interesting group, at the end of WWI, he served in the Marine unit of the Student Army Training Corps (SATC) at the Virginia Military Institute (Lexington, Virginia). VMI was one of only fifteen schools to have Marine units of the SATC. After the war, the SATC became the core of the ROTC program. While the war eneded before the cadets could join in, some could not wait; one of my uncle's classmates, "Chesty" Puller had already dropped out to get in the fight. When the war ended, all of the SATC cadets at VMI were awarded the war medal and good conduct medal.

During WWII, my uncle served in the military police, guarding Italian POWs in Louisiana. He took great joy in wearing his Marine Good Conduct medal ribbon as an Army captain.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Very nice Ed. I have already posted my Dad's things in the collectors section. Unfortunately, I missed a lot of nice things as a kid. He threw out several items I'm sure I could have had if I were only old enough to know what they were. He wasn't very sentimental. :(

Hey Scott,

I don't know how I ever missed that. Fantastic story and momentos. Thanks very much for sharing your Grandfathers story. These stories are what make this "hobby" so great. They help us to remember these guys were real people, with lives and families, and that some gave up everything for us and the world.

• 8 months later...

Plus, my grandfather almost got dragged off to the Spanish-American War. He had gotten his call-up papers, but then it was over. Close call.

Same with my father who was scheduled to go off on a LST for the North Africa landings. Then they discovered his was so color-blind he couldn't stand deck duty, and he got replaced (and off to ammunition depots); the guy who replaced him was killed when the LST was hit by a Stuka while ferrying prisoners of war out of Sicily. Another close call.

:beer: