News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Willy Lau spent his entire career in one regiment (IR133), participated in almost every major battle of WW1, picked up an impressive rack of decorations yet never received a wound that qualified him for a Wound Badge! I'm sure many of you saw this flash by a website last week... I simply could not resist the chance to keep watch over this one for awhile. I can count on one hand the number of groups like this (complete!) that have turned up in the last 10 years. Combine that with the extraordinary rarity of his Honor Cross with Swords (~1500 awards).... well, no regrets!

Every award is neatly entered in his Militar=Pass. Pay a special note the Dienstauzeichen 3.Kl and the award date! The Twins are reasonable certain that this is the first documented instance of a Saxon war-time LSM award. The medal is not in the group and I assume he may have never received the actual medal....

Also of note, he received an EK2 in 1914 yet it was 1916 before he received his first Saxon decoration!

Guest Rick Research

Erhard Roth counted 1,974 Ehrenkreuz Xs.

I've rummaged out the 23,000 SMMs Rolls and looked to see if the Urkunde code "Nr. 32, 306 I" correlated to anything and...

it doesn't. :banger:

Lau is in the very first batch of Saxon IR 133 awards listed, under date of 14 May 1915. He's on Roll Page 224 (these were just gigantic blank ledgers used for this purpose-- not that there were 223 pages ahead of him), and the cryptic processing notation there says "Blatt 167 d. A. III"--

So, like the equally mysterious numbers we've observed on HOH3X Urkunden, no help in finding things with those. :speechless:

BTW, a number of IR 133 awards listed as 01.05.15 are found much later in the first volume of the Roll. They are rather higgledy-piggeldy and entered in batches when somebody turned them in to the Orders Chancery, NOT in strict chronological order.

:beer:

Here's his cousin. Perhaps another 133rd Regt. group. Alas, unnamed with none of the beautiful documentation as in Stogieman's group:

The Sax VK w/Swords has always been a bit of an enigma. Reputedly, it was an "interim" award between the FA Medal and the MSH Medal but, not a prerequisite to the Mil. St. Henry. If that was the case, why so few awards? I have the feeling that this was likely a "meritorious service" type award awarded to NCO's for outstanding leadership while the MSH medal was awarded for acts of bravery. Any thoughts?

Nice nice :jumping:

And here we have a photo of a bravery man with nearly the same combination.

His name was Feldwebel Hahn!

Took also part on some rebellions in German-Southwestafrica 1903-08

Mounted on the bar (all pre-1914-awards!!!):

Friedrich-August-Medaille in silver for GSWA(!)

Militärehrenzeichen II. for GSWA

Kolonialdenkm. perhaps for his action during the Bondelzwart-rebellion 1903/04

Deutsch-Südwestafrika-Denkm. with 5 (?) battle claps

and the saxon DA for 15 years

in the buttonhole his WW1-awards

EK II

SAEZX

Sachsen-Meinigen War merit medal

Seems to be a great estate. I have only this photo, unfortunately :(

Best wishes

Karsten