News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The "good old" days

Bob

In the past, everything was better (of course). I remember logging on to eBay early 2006 and there just being too much good stuff to all bid on. Logging on to GMIC each day and seeing new posts with new variations, types, and sometimes even the first picture close-up of a rare item.

Ah those good old days...

Will things get better again?

No.

You must switch to collecting things that nobody else wants. :shame::whistle:

Works for me. :catjava:

PS are you BACK from your :speechless1::banger: trip?

I was intending to visit DPRK late december (new year in Pyong Yang!) but not sure whether the climate will be reasonable enough for a vacation:) Still planning... if not december, then summer 2010. I'd say 70% chance that it's december though as my curiosity is sparked and have started to read up on everything I want to see, do, etc. there.

I do collect exotic things: Albanian orders/medals!

Even there it's difficult to make further progress. Collection is virtually complete (missing a few extremely hard to get items) and it's waiting for research. Probably will visit Albania again in a few months to attent an exhibition on Albanian orders/medals and the launch of a new book. Albania has changed a lot vs. when I was first there 5 (?) years ago or so. Another reason to not wait too long with DPRK:)

Also, spotted an interesting Tamara on FJP Auctions (unfortunatly, too late to bid). Perhaps you can have a look at their current (out of date) catalogue online. It's a Tamara with black center.

DPRK, Albania, Tamara... how more obscure can I get?:)

Bob,

If it's December be sure to take very, very warm clothing... Korea is "gawd-awful" cold in the winter!

With regard to "stuff", seems that when I get priced-out of one area of the collection and I switch to another, damned if I don't get priced out of that area in a couple of months as well. At least I've been able to latch on to a few great pieces before that happens.

Edited by Greg Collins

Bob,

If it's December be sure to take very, very warm clothing... Korea is "gawd-awful" cold in the winter!

With regard to "stuff", seems that when I get priced-out of one area of the collection and I switch to another, damned if I don't get priced out of that area in a couple of months as well. At least I've been able to latch on to a few great pieces before that happens.

The thing with Mongolian (and even more so Albanian for that matter) is that it's not really "priced out of the market". The market has just generally dried up. Not entirely of course, but it's more drip feeding.

Yep, DPRK would be cold. -5 to -10 celsius in Pyong Yang I read. That I can handle, but I also want to travel up north to border with China. Due to weather conditions that might not be possible. On the other hand, new years party in Pyong Yang... sounds appealing to me. Every couple of years I like spending new year "elsewhere"... Chisinau (Moldova) 8 years ago or so, I summited Kilimanjaro on new year a few years ago, etc.

Anyway, back to Mongolia collecting: now what?

I began collecting Mongolian after what I could afford of the Soviet stuff dried up; stayed with the Mongolian for nearly a year before it, too, dried up. I was able to build a reasonable collection in that time. I'm very happy that I got the orders I did, when I did, because the price on those has really skyrocketed. I just have a Red Banner of Labour, Military Valour and a couple Polar Stars... serious $$$ these days- alot more friendly when I got them.

Have moved on through DDR, Bulgarian and now, primarily, Romanian but I never completely stop collecting any of it. I do keep up with the prices and continue to look for the odd deal. A good thing to remember is that all of our stuff is worth more now than in the "good old days".

Guest Rick Research

Yup, have to be a packrat if not in funds like a politician or a member of the Mafia.

Bob-- if all you want is to go someplace miserable where it is impossible to have fun, either too hot/too cold... might I suggest the northern frontier regions of Venezuela along the Canadian border? We are quite consistently skilled at never enjoying ourselves in extremely unpleasant climate conditions. Add the current political "environment" of belligerently smug incompetence and I can show you an entire region "successfully" transforming itself into a Warsaw Pact backwater theme park. Why, the local currency is even worthless. :whistle:

In the past, everything was better (of course). I remember logging on to eBay early 2006 and there just being too much good stuff to all bid on. Logging on to GMIC each day and seeing new posts with new variations, types, and sometimes even the first picture close-up of a rare item.

Ah those good old days...

Will things get better again?

Hi Bob,

Looking for good items on eBay is like going to the same antiques mall week after week. Not much chamges and you get a little tired of the some old-same old, even some of the better shows for both antiques and militaria are like that. At first it seems like there is no end of great items but then after your collection grows there is less and less that intertests you.

GMIC has also changed quite a bit even since I joined up. Members have come and gone, some with little impact and there are others who have added greatly to the forum. I like where we are at the moment and quite often think this would be a good "place" in time to stay but everything changes and with luck for the better. I used to think the GMIC was as good as it could get, WRONG!, I think it has improved with that passing of time and the changes it has brought. I'm not talking about the format, though I really like it, I mean the present members. They are all very helpful and can take a joke. Well...except for that guy in Quebec who needs to move to Ontario and lighten up. :whistle: Only kidding Frank, your cool...but Ontario is the place to live. :lol:

Will eBay improve? No, if your not already doing so, you'll end up like me and purchse the bulk of your new items from private dealers and collectors.

Will the GMIC improve? I think there's a good chance of that. The future members will make that determination. From the forum's track record I think it will only get better.

Ah, Sunday morning and too much coffee = long rants. :speechless1:

Regards

Brian