News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Yes, the Sax-Coburg Gothe Kriegserinnerungszeichen was strictly a military/war cross.

1916-18, 1922 then in its' most familiar form as both a pinback/ribbonned cross from 1927 forward, but details on the actual awarded numbers/details has always been a little sketchy.

Was the Thuringian War Cross strictly a military decoration?

If I recall correctly, Nimmergut lists it as a military award, but the only example I have suggests that it was certainly issued to non-combattant. I posted my bar and the pinback version at http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1201&hl=gotha

The very nice example above is also the first one I have ever seen on a ribbon bar and indicates that it was also awarded to combattants. From the order the ribbons are mounted, I would guess that the wearer was a Bavarian who served in or with units from Th?ringen.

Can anyone else show an example of the Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha award?

hmmmm, not sure why it cut me off....... anyway, your bar is a post 1935 bar with the the HKwX on there, but still most interesting with the combination of awards. Now, because it wasn't instituted until 1927, or rather adapted in 1927 from its' original form of strictly a pin-back to a ribboned award I don't know if it shows up in any of the ranklists for WW2.