News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Georgian Cheka Death Warrant - 1923

Here's a pair of unusual documents. One is an execution order for one Sandro Ivanovich Gvsalia. The other is a confirmation message that he was, indeed, executed on June 27, 1923, in Senaki Prison, Republic of Georgia.

If this belongs in another forum, or if it is somehow inappropriate here, I won't resent it if it is moved or deleted. I post these as minor historical documents of some interest.

Chuck

Hello Ulsterman

Don't have a clue what was behind this sentence. In 1923 it might have been ties (current or past) to the Menshevik or White movements. Remember, Georgia wasn't conquered until 1921 and there was a major violent revolt in 1924, savagely put down by (I think) the 11th Red Army, re-named the Caucasus Red Army. There was plenty of opposition. I have 1-2 Caucasus Red Army items from that period. Pretty scarce stuff.

I also have 2-3 entire Cheka capital crime case files from the very early days, including one of a Chekist officer who was pardoned the first time, executed the second time around for being a train robber and gang leader. I found them at the Tbilisi Dry Bridge Flea Market years ago. When independence came the KGB archives were ransacked and a lot of this stuff was burned or otherwise destroyed or stolen. Some of it stayed around and you still find it here and there. No one understands why a crazy foreigner would want this stuff. I'd share the files here but I don't know how to post such voluminous things. I can't even figure out how to use them on my web site.

I've been around but not too active. I've spent the spring and summer supporting my darlin' wife in her battle with breast cancer. Surgery, chemo, radiation, the whole nine yards. She has five more daily radiation treatments to go, the next one in three hours. She is in the "burst" phase and is suffering very angry and irritating 1st degree radiation burns. Who knew? Anyway, next Tuesday is her last treatment. The prognosis is good. She had an unrelated cancer 13 years ago and this has renewed a lot of old fears but there are no indications for other than a full recovery.

The orphanage goes very well. One of our girls got married last year and lives with her husband, a young small businessman, and his family in Telavi. I saw her in March and she looks just great and very happy. I took her and a few of the oldest kids out to a great supper when I was there. It was a rare privilege. This year we're bringing in a tutor for the 12th-grade (equivalent) students who show college potential. I don't select them, of course, but our teachers do. The national exams are very difficult but if we can get some kids successfully through them they will be admitted for free. We have high hopes.

Always good to hear from you my friend, and to read your posts.

Chuck