News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Army Parachutist Badge - Type 1 "Transitional"

I've had every type of issue Army Para Badge but never one of the private purchase badges in .800 silver so I thought "why not?" before I get out of Third Reich-related stuff definitively. This is the type identified by Eric Queen and myself as the "transitional" badge, with the die flaw on the talons caused by an attempt to modify the die to strengthen this part of the badge, normally struck in fine but very fragile aluminium. There were nine different types of Army Parachutist Badge, or ten if you count the round wire hook on some 1943/44 types as a type definition rather than a minor manufacturing variation. Of these, three were private purchase types struck in silver and engraved with the recipient's unit details, name, rank and the number of his award document or parachutist's licence. The matching award document is in the documents section. This man was one of the first couple of dozen Heer paratroopers and ended up with the DKiG. Some of you will quickly identify the man! :D

PK

Edited by PKeating