News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Another Very Interesting St Henry Medal Group

The MSH Medals have always interested me. The Golden Medals are almost never seen. It makes me wonder how many of the actual gold examples ended up in the melting pot during the inflation of the 1920's. The Silver Medal has never received the respect I think it is due by the collecting community. While not rare, it is certainly a scarce award that represents a significant achievement by the original recipient.

Edited by Beau Newman

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: Well THAT is an EXCEPTIONALLY interesting bar indeed.

I may have missed some (need to check and recheck) but with that Prussian XV Years Service Cross-- out of the roughly 8,000 Silver St Henry Medals...

I find ONE in the navy (a reservist) and 8 in the Prussian Army (3 reservists) and...

of those 9-- all but one (a medical Uffz) were FLYERS.

Will have to consult "Aviation Casualties" (it's late) to see if any of them are listed as killed during the war.

VERY limited suspects pool indeed. :whistle:

:Cat-Scratch: Well THAT is an EXCEPTIONALLY interesting bar indeed.

I may have missed some (need to check and recheck) but with that Prussian XV Years Service Cross-- out of the roughly 8,000 Silver St Henry Medals...

I find ONE in the navy (a reservist) and 8 in the Prussian Army (3 reservists) and...

of those 9-- all but one (a medical Uffz) were FLYERS.

Will have to consult "Aviation Casualties" (it's late) to see if any of them are listed as killed during the war.

VERY limited suspects pool indeed. :whistle:

Someone say fliegertruppen!? The casualties list will rule out some pilots, but anyway to eliminate the medical guy? (Other than ALL eight pilots being KIA during the war.)

Guest Rick Research

All the flyerss survived (great for them, tough for us! :whistle::cheeky: ) but I could eliminate two with other known awards.

Regulars who were "KP" recipients =

CZOSKI, Nofirstname, Sanitäts-Unteroffizier Reserve Festungs Maschinenegwehr Abteilung 2 (04.09.15)

HENTZE, Nofirstname, Unteroffizier Fliegerabteilung (A) 210 20.05.16

and

WÜSTENHAGEN, Nofirstname,Vizefeldwebel in Inf Rgt 105 (correct-- PRUSSIAN noncommissioned officer in SAXON regiment!?) 15.12.15

The reservists would seem much much less likely, though they COULD have been retroactively "regularized" after the war and somehow thus ended up with an XV--

BRAUN, Nofirstname, Steuermann dR on airship "LZ 79" 21.02.16

KAMPF, Nofirstname, Vizefeldwebel dL in Kampfstaffel 12 (23.09.16)

NOWOTNIK, Vizefeldwebel dR (oops the only other NON FLYER) in I./Pio Bn 22 (10.12.15)

ROHLANDT, Nofirstname, Vizefeldwebel dLdstm in Fliegerabteilung 11 (17.03.17)

and those are "it" as of right now. I've still got to see whether any more naval/marine recipients are "hidden" in listings that do not immediately reveal that affiliation by swift glance over the many thousands. So will be going down the list one by one.

But will be surprised if there are any more Prussians.

Guest Rick Research

Yup-- that's the advantage we have in collecting Imperial. Sometimes the most ordinary of awards

in an extraordinary context

are vital in making identifications.

It'd be even easier if he had been a Bavarian! :cheeky: :cheers:

Guest Rick Research

Still wading through all the many thousands of Silvers looking for Prussians/Imperial Navy and have found three more of the latter--

all regulars, flyers (airships) and survivors--

FEY, Gustav-- Steuermann on airship LZ 79 (21.02.16)

KRIEBEL, Richard-- Steuermann on airship LZ 79 (21.02.16 again)

and

SÜNDERHAUF, Richard-- Obersteuermann on airship LZ 113 (11.11.17)

scratching any of them will depend on finding them in other award rolls.