News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Crown of Romania in German Wehrpass

I've got a Wehrpass and Soldbuch to a German flyer. There is a 1943 entry for the award of the "Order of the Crown of Romania", 5th class, on bravery ribbon. My question: does this mean it is the version with swords, 2nd model?

Edited by webr55

I've got a Wehrpass and Soldbuch to a German flyer. There is a 1943 entry for the award of the "Order of the Crown of Romania", 5th class, on bravery ribbon. My question: does this mean it is the version with swords, 2nd model?

Yes!

In the Great War, of course, these orders were handed out to Allied officers. I once owned one to a Captain Branfoot,37th Lancers (Indian Army) who served on until the 1940s in one of the princely states of India. I think it was, just as a 'pretty thing" the nicest piece I ever owned. Came with a story too: the bloke who sold it to me lived next to a former messmate of "Brannies" who was wont to mutter under his breath that Branfoot got it as a Christmas gift and consolation prize because he didn't quite qualify for an MC! The story was that the various Allied states sent round job lots to the British War Office, who handed them out (after, presumably, writing a generic citation). Certainly Branfoot never served anywhere he's have fought beside or even near any Romanians!

Interesting, yes. Well this one did qualify for it: as an observer, he was flying recon missions for the Romanian 2nd Mountain Division in Russia in 1942/43. But he probably never got the order itself - only the entries in his documents.