News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Another Sudan medal mystery?

sabrigade

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_11_2009/post-3034-125732886926.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_11_2009/post-3034-125732887551.jpg

One of my sources brought these medals in from Eastern Sudan today.

The missing medals on the bar will be arriving sometime next week.

The identified ribbons for the missing medals are for the British World War 2 1939-45 and Africa stars.

The foreign award is unknown to me.

It is the first 1933 Sudan General Service Medal with intact ribbon that I have found in a long time.

The medal is missing a black star in the centre - it is the insignia of the French Colonial order Black Star of Benin. The ribbon should be a light blue - it appears to have faded

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the information.

Any details on what it was awarded for?

Regards,

Will

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

my guess is that the missing ribbon in the centre would be for the WW2 british war medal as the holder of any of the stars

must have this medal and it comes after the campaign medals (stars) and before forgien medals.

The grouping would suggest to me service with the British Forces.

Regards

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for the input. The problem here is that little attention to detail regarding the wearing of medals seems to take place.

This is especially true for veterans of the war.

This is another group I bought here, the Sudan LSGC medal is named to an officer in the Eastern Arab Corps.

Regards,

Will

The medals and stars have been mounted on the wrong ribbons. He has the 39-35 star and not the France-Germany star. These awards are consistent with the SDF participation in the Ethiopian and North African campaigns as well as against the Italians in Eritrea where the Sudan General Service Medal were awarded.

The medal is missing a black star in the centre - it is the insignia of the French Colonial order Black Star of Benin. The ribbon should be a light blue - it appears to have faded

BTW, the award of this medal was, as has already been suggested, made to non-French recipients and, as is evident in this case, need have no connection to Benin or any other French colony and sometimes only the most tenuous tie to France and her wars. So it would be quite conceiveable that it might go to a British officer who had never met a frenchman until the day this was pinned on him!