News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Real or Fake Order of a Million Elephants

Adam Phayamouk

According to this website here:

http://www.medals.org.uk/laos/kingdom-laos/kingdom-laos001.htm

It shows that the leaves are green, however, gold veined. This highly differs from the pictures I have enclosed below. What highly disappoints me is how the rear of the medal looks very crude and it is two pieces put together.

What do you guys think?

lao2.jpg

lao1.jpg

lao3.jpg

lao4.jpg

Hi Adam--

As Paul says, many makers, many variations. The crudeness of the rear finish does not put me off. I do not recall seeing this exact type but have seen a grand cross badge with the oval "shields" above the elephant heads separately applied. You mention the lack of metal work under the enamel leaves--Often there are also stirations in the metal under the elephant head red "cloths" as well. What size is this badge---60 mm.? Are there hallmarks on the cravat ring? Is the enamel is hard [fired] or "cold" [epoxy]. Does the main badge part appear to be silver? Looks it. An interesting item in any case!

• 1 month later...

I have been told that this type was manufactured by Bacuqeville at least in the early 70's.

There are many variations from different manufacturers, different sizes, different constructions, different materials.

There are also current manufactured versions, both from Thailand and also I suspect in Vietnam another type of copy.