News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Simon,

I've had a look through the 'Kampfgeschwader Gruppe' emblems I have on file, looking for a shape that fits the outline that's on that aircraft..No luck. So, I think it must be a squadron emblem... a little more difficult but will keep on with the search. I suspect the word next to the emblem is the key. I reckon it's the 'Gruppe' name. If you can do a large resolution scan of that part, we may have a better chance of tracking down the unit.

Thanks John, if it helps this is from a large group of photos for Heinrich Meyer I./KG 2 RK winner 15.10.1942 but I am drawing a blank as well. Although I have this other photo showing an aircraft with the same stripe around the nose of the plane but the emblem does not look the same as the others to me. Large resolution scans, thats blinding me with science :lol: I will have a play and see what I can do. Thanks again.

No.. Can?t find a ?KG? with the name of ?Gretel?, must be the pilots girlfriend, perhaps a little leeway for an air ace.

There was a famous fighter pilot (Oblt. Rudi Linz.12./JG5) who had the same name on his fuselage. Emblems, girlfriend?s names!! It would seem that Luftwaffe pilots had the same panache as the Americans when it came to adorning their aircraft.

I?ll keep looking for that emblem on the close-up. I?m sure there?s someone who?ll go?It?s KG thingy-me-bob.

In the meantime, we can forget the emblem for 1./ KG 2.

1./KG2 emblem.