News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hand-colorized WW2 portraits

Here I'd like to share with you some WW2 portraits from my collection that had been hand-colorized nearly 70 years ago. These are originals not colorized nowadays using modern PC programs. The technique used at that time looks a bit naive but it was a considerable step forward in bringing soldiers' memories back home to their loved ones.

No.1 Luftwaffe Fähnrich in the rank of Unterfeldwebel. Note the "KS" Latin letters on the shoulder boards that stand for Luftkriegsschulen.

Those are some great photos.  How long did it take you to accumilate them all?

Thanks for your reply!  :beer: I'm collecting photos (mainly WW2) for at least ten years already so these shown here are 0,00000..1 percent of my collection :rolleyes: If it's interesting for the Club members I'll post more photos  :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello -

Those photos are fantastic.

I have a few of my father in uniform, 1942, and yes they do look very amateurish, almost as if they are coloured in using colour pencils.

Do you know the name of the technique used? How this "clouring-in" was achieved?

regards

Thomas

Hello - Those photos are fantastic. 

I have a few of my father in uniform, 1942, and yes they do look very amateurish, almost as if they are coloured in using colour pencils.

Do you know the name of the technique used? How this "clouring-in" was achieved?

regards Thomas

Thanks, Thomas! As for the technique, it was quite simple: strongly diluted water-based paint was applied over the photograph's emulsion. All the rest depended on the photographer's skill as it could be seen in this topic - some photos are very gently and close-to-life colourized, a couple of photos too vivid.