News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Austrian/German Bar

M Hunter

Gents,

Thinking of buying this medal bar, but can someone tell me what the Austrian awards with the crowns are? And what they were awarded for? :catjava:

Are they the standard bravery awards, and then got the crowns added for an extra act of bravery? :ninja:

Also i have noticed on the reverse, it states the same motto...but on the obverse there are 2 different Emperors'... :speechless:

My thanks for any help! :cheers:

Matt

P.S. I had this bar discussed on the German forum. Can be viewed here: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=41668&st=0&p=385465&#entry385465

Edited by M Hunter

More educated members than I can probably give more detail - but the Signum Laudis medals were one in the same - you have one in Silver and one in "Bronze", both came with crowns during this time and was an award for officers. These were awarded for bravery to "good boy at the desk". The sword devices indicate that these were awarded for frontline service. The bronze Signum Laudis was awarded during the regin of Franz Joseph and these awards bore the one crown of the Hapsburgs. The silver Signum Laudis is from the regin of King Charles and these bore the Hapsburg (?) and the Hungarian Holy Crown - there were some political rumblings after FJ's death in 1916 among the Hungarians who wished for independant rule. The Military Merit Cross was awarded in a similar fashion and many have equated it to being awarded the EK1 - this again is an officers award. Hope that helps - but AH awards are not my speciality..