News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Lt Colonel on Election Legislative handbill

coldstream

I recently picked up this signed photograph in a small antique shop in the Franch town of Thouars. My French is not good but I believe it to be some form of election handbill or similar. The Officer is obviously a Lieutenant Colonel and I make his name out as V de Quineu?. A goggle search does not throw up anything similar and so any help with the surname would be appreciated please.

Now to his decorations, I believe the first medal is a Chevalier of the Ordre de la Legion d'Honneur of the 3rd Repiblic, the second is unidentifed and the closest I can find for the breast star is the Spanish Military Merit Order?

I am only confident with the identification of the Legion d'Honneur and again, any help would be appreciated. If it is a Spanish award what would a French Officer be wearing it for?

Not my normal collecting field but as always the magpie took over and I came out with photo's, a few medals and the usual shell cases. :banger:

Simon

Thanks to Chris I have been able to establish the identity of the Colonel as Louis Marie Adolphe Savoye de Puineuf.

Born 20th April 1856

Died aged 91 12th December 1947

Colonel de Cavalry, attending the St Cyr Military college 1875 and graduating as part of the 60th promotion class in 1877.

He is later listed as a Deputy (political title?) in the department of Deux-Sevres which is where the town of Thouars is located.

Could anyone point me in the right direction for further research regarding this Officer, (French internet sites?)

I'm still after his awards and military career :cheers:

Simon

Thanks to Chris I have been able to establish the identity of the Colonel as Louis Marie Adolphe Savoye de Puineuf.

Born 20th April 1856

Died aged 91 12th December 1947

Colonel de Cavalry, attending the St Cyr Military college 1875 and graduating as part of the 60th promotion class in 1877.

He is later listed as a Deputy (political title?) in the department of Deux-Sevres which is where the town of Thouars is located.

Could anyone point me in the right direction for further research regarding this Officer, (French internet sites?)

I'm still after his awards and military career :cheers:

Simon

Your information is right. He was born April 20 1856 in the town of Saint-Servan in Brittany. Served in the French Army as a regular officer to the rank of Lieutenant-colonel at retirement.

He was the mayor of the small town of Etusson and won a seat in the Chambre des Députés (French equivalent to the House of Commons)in July 1914. Was recommissioned as lieutenant-colonel of the 32nd Dragons as a reserve officer in August 1914.

He was reelected in 1919, serving in the Chambre des députés until 1924. His activity as a member of Parlement was "modest" (polite French equivalent to "indifferent"). Dictionnaire des Parlementaires français 1889-1940.

The awards on the photo are, beside the Legion d'honneur, the Italian order of Saint-Maurice & Saint-Lazare (chevalier) and the Spanish Military Merit 3rd or 4th classes. Such awards were occasionnally made to officers having served as military attachés, but I could find no evidence to support this.

A Savoye de Puineuf family still exists in Etusson. (Bottin mondain 1999).

A very nice picture of a good looking officer.

Regards

Veteran

Edited by Veteran

A very interesting story may hide ehind that piece.... much has been written about war service officers who were also members of the Chambre des Députés.

They infuriated the high command as they could carry their complaints straiht to the highest political levels.

best

Chris

A very interesting story may hide ehind that piece.... much has been written about war service officers who were also members of the Chambre des Députés.

They infuriated the high command as they could carry their complaints straiht to the highest political levels.

best

Chris

Hello Chris

I would not think this gentleman was still in active service at the time he was elected to the Chamber of Deputies. Most officers would retire at or before the age of 55 if they had not been made generals. Since in 1914 he was already the mayor of the small town of where he lived, I would rather think he would have been a civilian for several year. This is sustained by the fact that he was recalled as a reserve lieutenant-colonel when the War broke out.

To my knowledge, the military in those days were not supposed to have anything to do with politics. I even doubt they had a right to vote, but this is debatable.

Nice to have you on this forum. Best of everything in 2010 !

Veteran

Veteran and Chris

Thanks you very much for the infomation regarding this Officer. A handsome portrait indeed and all for the pircely sum of one euro!

I am just getting into the French forces of the Great War and have a lot of reading and research ahead of me.

Thanks again Simon :cheers:

Hi Vet,

Think of the example of Driant... born in 1855, and into the chamber of deputies in 1910...

In 1914 he went back into uniform and served as a Chasseur officer.... he drove Joffre mad because he voiced his opinions directly to his friends in the chamber and to Gallieni....

Like Driant he must have taken a commission for the duration of the war, but that did not exclude him from his position in the chamber...

I am not sure where to find it anymore but there was a good French article about the problems Joffre had/and his dislike of... members of the chamber in uniform.

Best

Chris

Hi Vet,

Think of the example of Driant... born in 1855, and into the chamber of deputies in 1910...

In 1914 he went back into uniform and served as a Chasseur officer.... he drove Joffre mad because he voiced his opinions directly to his friends in the chamber and to Gallieni....

Like Driant he must have taken a commission for the duration of the war, but that did not exclude him from his position in the chamber...

I am not sure where to find it anymore but there was a good French article about the problems Joffre had/and his dislike of... members of the chamber in uniform.

Best

Chris

Hi Chris

You obviously know a lot about French history. It is wonderful to be able to discuss things with you.

In fact, Driant had resigned from the Army in the 1890s and married the daughter of General Boulanger. He wrote a large number of books and went into politics.

When WW1 started, all the members of the Chamber of Deputies were excused from serving with the Forces. Nevertheless most of those who were young enough to serve did. Don't forget that all French citizens had served compulsory military service and were with the reserves for a number of years after that.

In the case of Driant (and possibly Savoye de Puineuf) his age had him removed from the list of reserve officers. He therefore requested and received permission to serve, being given an immediate command. He was to be killed with practically all his men on January 22nd when the Germans started their offensive on Verdun, very near the village and fort of Douaumont. They litterally stood fast to the very last man.

Incidentally, my own father was severy wounded the same day defending the neighbouring village of Louvemont, just a few hundred meters from Douaumont. He was a sous-lieutenant serving with the 2nd Tirailleurs de marche (immediate Legion d'honneur and croix de guerre with palm).

Driant was a very pugnacious and talented person. No wonder he must have occasionnally been a pain in the neck to Joffre. On the other hand, the presence of members of Parliament serving with the Forces engaged in combat was part of democratic government.

I hope these few lines will have been of interest to you.

Regards

Veteran

Hello,

Just a crumb of information extracted from the 1929 year book of the Légion d'honneur :

Promoted officier of the LH november 8th 1915, as colonel of the 3rd "Chasseurs à cheval" regiment.

Lived in Clermont Ferrdand in 1929.

Nothing more, sorry.

Regards

Cussonneau