News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Frenchmen in 1914

Tony

I picked the following postcards up recently as to me, they look so classically French. Though I'm afraid to say I know little, well, nothing about the French army.

The first shows some medical officers (I'm assuming). Is the man seated cavalry?

The second is dated 15 X bre 1914, 15.10.14 I imagine. As they're carrying swords what rank might they have? Or are they bayonets?

Tony

Edited by Tony

I don't even know if these men are soldiers, firemen or something else. The card is dated 21.10.14 and I'd be very grateful if anyone can translate it for me.

To me the writing in ink looks like Robert Lassale 21st Oct. 1914 customer of Pimbels Bar.

Tony

Amazingly awful hand-writing: The last bit looks like "avec toute ma grande sympathie" (with all my great sympathy)

That's what I thought too Tom just after posting the photo. They look like a Chassepot as opposed to a Lebel don't they.

Thanks Terry,

Maybe he died or the beer at Pimbels could have been terrible.

Tony

Edited by Tony