News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Cross for homeservice?

Hi!

First of all I'm not shure about putting me request in the right topic, but...

Some time ago I've got this bavarian picture with the information that it could be a cross for homeservice "Kreuz für Heimatverdienst". Why? He is wearing the "König Ludwig-Kreuz" AND the iron cross. In my oppinion you can't wear any award for bravery etc. and the "König Ludwig-Kreuz" together. So for me he got the ek2 at home - for service in bavaria.

Is the info about wearing the König-Lufwig-Kreuz only without any award for bravery true - and so: could this be a cross for homeservice?

I hope someone of you could help me!

Thanks a lot

westfale

Edited by westfale

• 2 weeks later...

My understanding is that the 1914 EK2 was awarded on the "combatant's" ribbon for any service outside Germany, even non-combat service. The top device on his cap does not look like a round cockade. He may be some kind of uniformed civil servant, like railways or postal who served in the occupied zone and was a Bavarian.

In fact, I own a couple of groups with both an "combatant" EK and a Ludwig Cross.

Edited by Beau Newman

That's the theory-but there were obviously exceptions here and there-hence the "exact count" by Kleitman. Chris. B. is the author of the black/white ribbon for auslandsdeinst and this seems to have been backed up by some language in a book I have. Still, it'd be nice to have a specific regulation or directive to point to-or documented groups as proof positive.

I too have seen the Ludwig cross/black/white EK2 combo and while some seem to be "newly made" combos-others are not as this photo demonstrates. Now, if we could just figure out this mans' career.

Unfortunately I have no more Info about this guy - only this greetings at the rearside of the picture... :(  

Hope to see sometimes in the future the lion on his cap to identify his profession for a little bit more "light"! 

Anyway, till now thanks for help and info!  :beer:

@ Tom

As I wrote before. "Neustadt bei Coburg" the town Neustadt near Coburg 

@ Chris

After a short try at google I found a composer who wrote some operetta and send one of them in the air by radio 1928  and a policeman (Schutzmann) who was discard in 1919...   

IF it is the guy in the bavarian archive, it seems he was wounded in Jan 1915 then did a few hospitals and was then in a Grenzschützbataillon until december 1917.

I cannot find these in the regular army, it seems to be a kind of militia, maybe civvie status? Defending against the swiss?

Awarded the KLK in December 1916... then returning to the army in december 1917 he got the EK in October 1918.

best

chris

An example of a group with both awards. Since he had the 20 year Reservist's Cross, he may have been deemed too old for front line service and spent his time behind the lines. Of course, over the course of a 4 year war, seeing both combat and home front service (due to age, wounds & etc.) would not have been out of the question.

IF it is the guy in the Bavarian archive, it seems he was wounded in Jan 1915 then did a few hospitals and was then in a Grenzschützbataillon until December 1917.

I cannot find these in the regular army, it seems to be a kind of militia, maybe civvie status? Defending against the Swiss?

Awarded the KLK in December 1916... then returning to the army in December 1917 he got the EK in October 1918.

best

chris

Outstanding!! Do you have his file on-line? That explains EVERYTHING!!

Ah! Neustadt! :cheers:

AMAZING - absolute amazing! :jumping:

That was something I never expected - for me he is the guy, because of the name - its not a müller or schmidt...

And I would like to ask, too: Could this Info about him found in the net or could you post the file about him?

But anyway, thanks for that news and all the work you had :beer:

For all who didn't found my other post, here the full picture of him attached

Jürgen (westfale)

Edited by westfale