News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Vlamertinghe Chateau

jasmor58

Does anyone have , or know of any, wartime photographs of Vlamertinghe Chateau in Belgium? Any help would be greatly appreciated. My fater-in-law was posiotioned here with 154 Siege Batteryi9n 1918.

Regards,

Jasmor58

Hello Jasmor,

Attached is a pic of the castleruins. After the war, the castle was restored. I don't know if you want pics of the castle in the thirties?

regards,

Jef

Jeff,

Sorry, but I omitted to say that it would also be interesing to see the pictures from the thirties. Just to see how the reconstruction was.

I did not think that the Chatea had been so badly damaged.

regards,

Jasmor58

Jeff,

Sorry, but I omitted to say that it would also be interesing to see the pictures from the thirties. Just to see how the reconstruction was.

I did not think that the Chatea had been so badly damaged.

regards,

Jasmor58

Hello Jasmor,

I found the pic on the internet, i will look for the link.

Jef

attached is the frontside, will make a scan of the backside from a postcard in my collection

Hello Jasmor,

You are quite right, the first pic i sent was the castle of Elverdinge, a village nearby. I continue to look for a wartime pic of Vlamertinge castle. Sorry to bring you on a wrong track. :whistle:

Kind regards,

Jef

enclosed is a pic of the backside of the castle

Thanks Jeff. Much appreciated. Still feel that somewhere out there there must be a picture showing the damage.

Jasmor58

Hello Jasmore,

The Chateau is situated in the hospitaalstraat in Vlamertinge. It was built in 1857-1858 for viscount Pierre-Gustave du Parc by architect J. Schadde of Antwerp. During WWI the castle was occupied by different allied units. In this way the castle and its property became a German target. It was restored in 1920 by V. Carron of Ardooie. Recently I learned R. Duflou wrote several publications of Vlamertinge. I hope i will be able to find the requested information. Meanwhile i add a pic of Vlamertinge village. I'm sure this environment was familiar to your father-in-law.

With kind regards from Flanders,

Jef

Jeff,

Thanks for the info. Last year my wife and I had the privilege of visiting Vlamertinghe and having a conducted tour by the Duke. We also had tea with his mother, the Duchesse Du Park. We were visiting a few of the sites where my wife's father was positioned with 154 Siege Battery. Vlamertinghe Chateau was one of the highlights as it castle is not open to the public. Having researched my father-in -law's war service and life, and actually being able to visit the place where he won his Military Medal (not at Vlamertinghe) was a great emotive experience. My wife also participated in the Last Post Ceremony by laying a wreath at the Mennin Gate in memeory of the men of 154 Sb who died in the conflict. We were also able to visit the grave of a friend of my wife's father who was killed and is interred in Bedford Castle Cemetery. The visit to Vlametinghe made me want to find out more about the place.Hope to be back in Flanders some time this year.

Regards,

Jasmor58

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again,

During my search for a photograph I found these pics. It's chateau des Rosiers in Vlamertinghe. Before and during the war. I must say it's a bit confusing.... Did your father in law mentioned the name of the castle?

Jef

Jeff,

Fantastic pictures. Yes, It was definately Vlamertinge Chateau, the one which we visited and met with the Duke and Duchesse.

Tt hat 15 It is also mentioned in the history of 154 Siege Battery and the guns were located in the orchard..

I have sent your pictures to my friend in Belgium. He was especially interested in the photograph of the church. Will send a copy of his email to you wich has info which might be of interest to you.

Regards,

Jim

• 3 years later...

If anyone can send me any photos/Information of 154 Siege Battery outside what is in the book on the subject that would be great. My grandfather John Rochford was a gunner with the 154 under Capt Goldstein and used to go on a daily basis past the Cloth Hall to the gun positions (which I am presuming was between Swan Chateau and Manor Farm/Halt from September 1917).

Kind regards,

Nick Rochford

(Yorkshire)

• 3 months later...

Here is a postcard of the Chateau, my great uncle William John Jenkins, was billeted there before he killed on the 5th. May 1915 in the battle for hill 60.

He is buried in the Divisional Cemetery in Leper (Ypres) http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_11_2013/post-16472-0-32549200-1385117327.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_11_2013/post-16472-0-68321800-1385117330.jpg