News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

One weird ribbon bar from States!

Noor

Hi,

Here is one US two place ribbon bar what managed to find his way back in home, after I lost it.

Ok, to me its look like the bar with the double Victory medals - second one prototype ribbon!?!?!

Does anyone have a ideas how this combination is possible. Does the owner was just a guy who liked his bling bling?

On the reverse maker tag: Made by Geo. W Studley . Maybe someone have more information about him?

Edited by Noor

Hi Timo,

Man, that one is a puzzler... least for me. I've just checked through all the normal U.S. services ribbons... nothing similar. Here's a listing of the State National Guard medals... tons not pictured though as you'll see but figured I'd pass along for reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awards_and_decorations_of_the_National_Guard

But I know that quite a number of State and even local type awards were giving for WW1 as well as other early wars before and for WW1. So quite possibly something like that.unsure.gif

It almost reminds me of the Soviet Order of Victory ribbon in the respect that they made that from the colors of their other awards and put them into one. I can see what looks like the Silver Star ribbon on the right of yours.

Anyhow hoping someone can nail it down. Sure wish Rick were around (I fear he's lost his internet) as he could probably nail it in a heartbeat.

Sure hope it's ID'd thought... very curious to see what it's for.beer.gif

Dancheers.gif

I think it is a local or even a VFW non military award. I have several named tunics to the US 32nd division which have the same ribbon. I believe it was a standard ribbon, with the State's personal medal attached. I dont think it has any military significance :)

Here is a link to the US Militaria forum to my topic on the 32nd division. It is hard to tell from the photo, but the uniform of PVT Frank Jaster, 120th FA, 32nd division has that ribbon also. Pretty neat.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28862&hl=32nd+division

Edited by Chris Liontas

I believe it was a standard ribbon, with the State's personal medal attached.

I would agree with the non-official WWI medal idea. I have seen at least one medal for sale with this ribbon.

From the OMSA Medal Database we have this Champaign County World War One Service Medal with this ribbon.

http://www.omsa.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=2888

I bet if you dig through OMSA's database, you might find more examples.

I would agree with the non-official WWI medal idea. I have seen at least one medal for sale with this ribbon.

From the OMSA Medal Database we have this Champaign County World War One Service Medal with this ribbon.

http://www.omsa.org/....php?photo=2888

I bet if you dig through OMSA's database, you might find more examples.

A good reference on this topic is "Revised Comprehensive List of WW1 Service Medals issued by States, Counties, Cities & Towns" by Louis W. Small.

Jean-Paul

George Studley was an early medal dealer. He was very active at American Legion, VFW, etc, conventions selling full-size and miniature medals to veterns. He published several small pricelists (collectable in their own right) showing what medals were available.

He wasn't greatly concerned about what the vet was authorized, he was in the business of selling medals and ribbons. As a result, you'll often see his miniature groups festooned with assorted British and French medals (Verdin, St. Mihiel, WWI Commemorative, etc). The second ribbon on this bar was generally referred to as the "Interallied Ribbon" and seemed to fill in where no other ribbon was available/authorized. Many of Studley's sales included this ribbon (which was properly used on several city medals from WWI).

Studley also had struck full-size medals, which he sold to veterans. He used government dies and had J.K. Davison, of Philadelphia, strike the pendants, which are substantially thicker than the official strikes.

Thanks Jeff - prefect information!beer.gif

One final comment for you. I think (based on the orientation of the Star) that the ribbons are upside down. Normally the star point is always facing upward.

Ed

Though I never met the guy (a bit before my time in this area), Studley lived about eight miles from my house. So, his old catalogs sometimes show up in this area, and I have three of them from 1945 to 1961. He called this ribbon the "Allied Service" medal, which explains the hodgepodge of colors. It was totally unofficial and one of several he cooked up for vets who wanted a bit more "fruit salad" on their chest.

• 2 months later...

For what it's worth, I've got that same mystery ribbon on a ribbon bar along with a VFW membership ribbon, that belonged to my great-great uncle from Missouri. I know I've seen it somewhere before, but this thread is the only mention of it I've seen anywhere.