News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Private Purchase .925 EK 2

Gentlemen,

I have tried several times to get a Godet "G" marked EK 2, but they always got snapped up before I got there. On the ones I have seen, I noticed the stem on the oakleaves bent toward the right instead of to the left (or straight) as on most EK2's. As I was looking through my EK2's the other day, I observed that this one that I had always listed as an unmarked private purchase piece had the same feature as the "G" marked piece. All this time I may have had one and not known it. This one however has a custom suspender for the ribbon to fit through. The details on the core are in very high relief and the oakleaves are very intricate. Here is the obverse,

Dan Murphy

IPB Image

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Once again the markings (which I had never noticed before) are on the small ring attached to the frame of the cross. The 925 marking is clear but the other one in an unusual shaped stamp appear to be in Farsi or something. There are no discernable letters, just what looks (to me) like a bunch of curved lines that are raised within the stamp. Here is the best shot I was able to get of the marks,

Dan Murphy

IPB Image

Dan,

I don't systematically collect or catalogue EK2s, they just accumulate when I acquire document groups.

This is one marked G that I found fairly quickly (I know I have others, but it would take a while to find them).

The condition will probably make some collectors weep, but it is undoubtedly real.

Perhaps a comparison of the core details will help you. It is only marked on the large ring with a simple G.

David

[attachmentid=20307][attachmentid=20308]

[attachmentid=20309]

Greg,

You are right! I have taken the images of mine and the one that David posted and have made side by side comparisons of the detail of the core and the frame beading. In many ways the details on the one I posted are more intricate than on the other, but it showed that there is no way these two crosses were made by the same manufacturer. So who made a medal as good as or better than Godet? Beats me.

Dan Murphy

dan-

i think this is one area where godet WAS

at least equalled, if not outshined.

while godet ek's ARE beauties, in the EK

department, there are a number of

manufacturers which i think rival them:

some W&S

LV with #'s

and one or two others which escape

me at this early hour...

(i'm santa clausing the kids now!!)