News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Christmas Goodies...

Jim Baker

Hi Paul,

I'm looking forward to tackling this one. I might even do one of those photo essays as I build it. I've never done that. I'm also hoping I can get guys that have built this boat to post photos of theirs. (Hint, Hint). I'd also like suggestions on after market items people have used and can recommend.

Guest Darrell

Hey Jim looks sweet. Just curious. I've never seen a U-Boot model complete. Are there "cut-aways" on the side where you can see inside? Or just the outer shell?

Hi Darrell,

The smaller boat is a simpler kit in 1/125 scale that my mother gave me. Bless her heart, I can't believe she even remembered me talking about it. Aren't Mom's great! The hull is cut open with a very simple interior. With some work it can be made into a nice model. It's really more of a kids kit.

The larger Revell 1/72 kit is killer. There are SO many after market items available for this kit you just can't believe it. Yes, you can cut the hull open and add several available compartments if you wish. But with this kit, you will have to open the hull up yourself. Since this is my first boat, I will probably just concentrate on the hull details and see how I do with that. I've wanted this kit for a while now, and now they have a US Gato Class sub coming out in 1/72!!! :jumping:

Does anyone know what the differences are between this boat and the "Atlantic" version boat Revell is releasing??

Greetings Panzerman;

I remember seeing a forced perspective dio at the 2000 IPMS Nats in Dallas. It was a German U-boat (large scale water line version ...maybe scratchbuilt. ) on the surface of the choppy North Atlantic with the gun crew firing at a RAF PBY Catalina (1/44th scale.) The PBY had one prop windmilling. Very cool dio. Other than the U-boats stuff on the History channel thats about it. I maybe wrong but the "Atlantic" versions were the wolfpack types (1942-3) that went after convoys? Not sure about that.

Christmas was good to me. All 1/48 scale. Several Limited editions Eduard Fokker D.VII, Albatros D.Va, Nieuport 17 and etc. And I got my computer upgrades.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

Edited by StephenLawson

Hey Neil,

If I wasn't absolutely positive my wife would KILL me, I'd have all these guys!! I think they look great. I had all the GI Joes when I was a kid, and these are just unbelieveable in detail.

PS - You're a good Dad!!! ;)

Jim,

The new Revell kit, out in February I believe, is stunning. Its a Type VIIC/41 with the extended tower with extra Flak armament, snorkel etc.

You can see a built up pre-production example here.

http://modellversium.de/galerie/artikel.php?id=1689

Although the Revell figures are in that soft plastic they are very well detailed. More appropriate to a harbour scene with most of the sailors being in their "blues".

When the new one comes out I doubt if I will be able to resist chopping the hull down and "waterlining" it in a seascape.

Hi Darrell,

The smaller boat is a simpler kit in 1/125 scale that my mother gave me. Bless her heart, I can't believe she even remembered me talking about it. Aren't Mom's great! The hull is cut open with a very simple interior. With some work it can be made into a nice model. It's really more of a kids kit.

The larger Revell 1/72 kit is killer. There are SO many after market items available for this kit you just can't believe it. Yes, you can cut the hull open and add several available compartments if you wish. But with this kit, you will have to open the hull up yourself. Since this is my first boat, I will probably just concentrate on the hull details and see how I do with that. I've wanted this kit for a while now, and now they have a US Gato Class sub coming out in 1/72!!! :jumping:

Does anyone know what the differences are between this boat and the "Atlantic" version boat Revell is releasing??

Thanks Gordon.

I'm looking forward to all these 1/72 scale boats. Now if I can just convince my wife how nice they will look on the mantel..... :rolleyes:

The figures came from my daughter so I will be obliged to use a few of them. Maybe just the officers on the conning tower.

I feel like a little kid again!! :jumping:

PS - That camo scheme he used is just fantastic.

• 1 month later...

A bit late but never mind, one of my Christmas arrivals now nearing completion. His Imperial Japanese Majesty's Ship "Mikasa", victor of the Battle of the Japan Sea. Rigging these things is a real pig of a job ! Roll on the next simple U-Boat kit, no rigging isssues there !

Oh, that is sweet. Thanks for posting it.

I got a model of the Arizona for my birthday. My sub isn't out yet. :(

I'm going to pick up a few books from Osprey about the German U-Boats for reference on the Type VII-C and the upcoming boats. They're written by some guy named Williams, or something like that.... :P

Nice. I'm definitely going to grab that one too.

Gordon, would you mind showing us how you do the water when you get to that point? I don't think I'll have much of a problem with the construction phase, but I have never done water. From the size of these monsters, it looks like it will be a lot of water too. Thanks.

Nice. I'm definitely going to grab that one too.

Gordon, would you mind showing us how you do the water when you get to that point? I don't think I'll have much of a problem with the construction phase, but I have never done water. From the size of these monsters, it looks like it will be a lot of water too. Thanks.

Jim,

If you need to reduce the amount of water, you could cut the boat down to the conning tower for a small diorama of a sub that is almost completely submerged. :rolleyes:

But more seriously, it ought to be fairly easy to scratch-build a conning tower as a display base for some KM figures.

I would be interested to see how Gordon does the water for his displays.

David