News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Greeting All;

I have a great document group to a flieger that I would like to share with you. I am piecing together his career from his documents and his Militär-Dienstzeitbescheinigung but I’m coming across some words and abbreviations that I can’t read. Even my "German Military Terms 1918" -Battery Press, book is not helping.

While this may spoil some of the story, a brief background may be necessary for those who can tell me what these unknown words mean.

Luedtke L.d.R. began his war career on the ground on the Russian front, earned the EK2 in the trenches near Riga. Transferred to flight training and was assigned to Kampfgeschwader 2, Staffel 11. Captivity on Jan 31, 1918.

Here is the actual entry for the EK2

Eisernes Kreuz zweiter Klasse (ohne Verl.Dat.)

Question: What does “without Verl.Dat.” mean?

Here is the entry for the assignment to KG2,S11 on May 30, 1917.

"z.Kampfgeschwader O.H.L.Nr.2 in the Field Staffel 11" Straight forward meaning, however

for the June 20, 1917 entry it mentions;

“Staffel 11, versetzt.”

Question: What does “versetzt” mean?

Here is the May 30-July 19, 1917 entry “Stellungskämpfe am Chemin des Dames” straight forward meaning, however the entry for October 20-Decmeber 19 is “desgl.”

Question: What does “desgl.” Mean?

On Jan 31, 1918, the entry is “von einem Frontflug nicht zurückgekehrt, in franz. Gefangenschaft geraten.”

Two questions: I understand that he did not return from a front line flight, but what is “in franz.” mean? If this is an abbreviation for “französisch”, shouldn’t the “F” be capitalized as in “Franz.”? Or does “franz.” mean something else?

Other question: What does “geraten” mean in context of in captivity? Does it mean “assumed or guessed”?

Finally, on the front page, under the year heading of “1918” it simply says “umstehend” my translation is “as stated overleaf”. Is this right? Does this mean refer to back page?

Once I have a clearer picture of this gent along with some research, I will post his chronology. Thank you for any help you can give me.

Hi Claudius,

Verl.Dat. = Verleihungsdatum (award date)

versetzt = transferred

desgl. = desgleichen (the same [as before])

franz. = französisch [always without capital letter]

in franz. Gefangenschaft geraten = gone into captivity/taken as prisoner

umstehend = overleaf

Uwe

Hi Claudius,

i just wonder why his assigment was given as Kampfgeschwader 2 O.H.L. because at this time the unit was reorganized to Bombengeschwader 2 O.H.L.(BOGOHL) Kasta 11 was renamed to Bosta 11 and still was attached to BOGOHL 2.

The KAGOHL 2 had only a few G-planes. After the reorganisation of the KAGOHLs, 24 Schutzstaffel (Schusta) were formed by Kastas. So most of over 275 C-planes of many Kastas gone to the new formed Schustas and the new BOGOHLs got 1918 Fdh. G.III -IV, Go. G.III-VI or AEG G.II-IV.

The Go.IV and Go.V were used primarliy by BOGOHL 3,

Fdh. G.III and G.IIIa were used by BOGOHL 1, 2, 5, 6, 7 and 8.

BOGOHL 4 used the AEG.G.IV tactical bomber.

So maybe your pilot fly a Fdh. G.III 1918 or one of the C-plane still used be Bostas.

Regards Alex

Edited by jaba1914

Speedytop: Thank you for the translations Uwe. I have made the notations and corrections to my work.

Jaba1914: You are right about KAGOHL becoming BAGOHL. My reference indicates that the change occured in December 1917. Thank you for the information on the units.

I have a chronology prepared and as I mentioned, I will post it. My next immediate area of reseach is the

Bombing attack on Paris, Jan 30/31, 1918.

I would like read an account of the action, Allied victory claims?, Are there any good books that describe the action?

Luektke K. L.d.R./Hauptmann

1898 January 22nd born

1914 September 16th 2 Recruit Depot Ersatz Battalion, Gren. Regiment 11 (as a war-volunteer)

1915 January 15th Reserve Infantry Regiment 34

March 18th – April 4th for training, course of instruction for Aspirant Officer Cadet

August 14th Landwehr Infantry Regiment 34

September 13th – 23rd Battle at Wilna (Vilnius, Lithuania)

November 4th – August 8th 1916 Trench warfare before Riga

1916 March 25th 1914 EK2 w/ IR 34

November 4th – August 8th 1916 Trench warfare before Riga

August 11th Armee-FlugPark 8, Examination on suitability as an Observer.

September 22nd Transfer to FEA 3 as Pilot

September 26th Transfer to Gotha flight school

1917 February 25th Distance flight training with FEA 3

April 16th – 25th [general info.: 2nd Battle of Aisne, aka: Chemin des Dames]

May 30th joined Kampfgeschwader OHL #2, in the Field Staffel 11

May 30th – July 19th Trench warfare at the Chemin des Dames [Aisne]

June 20th z.Staffel 11 transfer

July 1st Promotion to Lieutenant d.R.

May 30th – July 19th Trench warfare at the Chemin des Dames

August 31st Pilot badge awarded

October 20th – December 19th Trench warfare at the Chemin des Dames, same as before

December [gen. info.: Kampfgeschwader OHL, change to Bombengeschwader OHL]

1918 January 29th “general info.: quote “In connexion with the subject of remunerative targets for bombing squadrons, the following order, dated 29 January, 1918, has points of interest:- “Seeing that in spite of repeated protests and threats of reprisals, the enemy has recently carried out bombing raids on open towns in Germany (Mannheim, Lahr, Freiburg, etc.), the Supreme Command has ordered the Squadron [i.e. Bombengeschwader 2] to attack the fortress of Paris. Objectives are to be confined to targets such as railway stations, public buildings utilized for military purposes (Ministry of War, G.H.Q., Ministry of Marine, Supply Depots, Barracks, etc.). The following are not to form bombing targets:-Hospitals, churches, and buildings having artistic value.” unquote –Handbook of German Military and Naval Aviation,Oct 1918 pg 67.”

January 30th / 31st Squadron attack on Paris [night attack]

January 31st Captured by the French [shot down?]

September 5th Wound badge -Black awarded [as a POW?, wounded when shot down?]

1921 September 28th 1914 EK1 w/ 2nd Kavalry Division

1940 July 5th 1939 EK1 Clasp as a Captain in Fluftflotte 2, Unit 4(F)./122

September 16th LuftFlotte 2: Unit 4(F)./122 in a Ju88, designation “F6+HM”.

Battle of Britain -MIA in recon flight near Lincolnshire, England.

Shot down by Spitfires from 616 Squadron over a convoy at 9:40 GMT.

Ju88, designation: F6+HM Crew:

Olbt. Hans Starkloff

Hptm Kurt Luedtke

Uffz. Pawletta

Oberarzt Dr Ulrich Guizetti

[crew complement was in violation of an order issued two days earlier that stated that flights were NOT to have too many ranking officers aboard.]

October 14th Reported missing to Frau Luedtke.

Did you know where he was born?

Regards Alex

Yes, Grabow. (I should have added that.)

But in 1936 I think is was in Penig because that is where the militär-Dienstzeitbescheinigung was filled out.

Edited by Claudius