News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Canadian Memorial Cross

Hello Everyone,

The Canadian Memorial Cross was issued to wives and mothers of servicemen who had died during World War One, instituted in December 1919 with a second version introduced in August 1940 for servicemen who died in the Second World War. The difference being the Royal cypher.

The cross is made of silver and measures 32mm in width. A 11mm violet ribbon was included with the cross which was presented in a box. Later versions starting in the rein of George VI and then continuing throughout the rein of Elizabeth II to the present day had a suspension bar.

Both examples I am presenting have their original boxes which I will photograph and show at the end of the post.

First is a certificate to the organization known as the Silver Cross Women. This was a group of Memorial Cross recipients who worked in the local area to assist mothers and wives who had lost loved ones in the war. This certificate was for the Waterloo County Chapter (Cities of Kitchener and Waterloo, Ontario); they received their charter in 1949. When the local Royal Canadian Legion in Kitchener reloctated this ended up as trash and I rescued it from the bin before it became land fill at the garbage dump.

The writing is very faded and I don't know if you can make it out. I think this is an interesting and important local artifact, too bad the Legion members did not feel the same.

Regards

Brian

Edited by Brian Wolfe

The insides of the boxes are identical and differ only in the condition due to storage.

If any of the members would like to addto this post please feel free to do so. I purposely didn't title the post as "my collection" so that members might be able to add to it.

Regards

Brian

These are such attractive little items that mean so much, a combination of design, colour, materials & dimensions that really "work".

On the subject of the certificate - it's hard to understand how these things become discarded, I have one to a branch of The Old Contemptibles Association, it was left behind, dumped in the rubble of a an old building when an ex-serviceman's organisation moved to other premises.

I have a QEII one to a guy who was wounded in WW1. The wounds seem to have been bad enough to justify it!!!!

Hi Chris,

I believe I've read that if the serviceman died of his wounds the cross would be awared. The time period didn't matter as long as death was due to those wounds.

Is it possible for you to post your example? I've yet to add a QEII version to my collection.

Regards

Brian

Good examples Brian - and much better when the boxes are present. Wasn't there some talk a little while ago, about Britain introducing such an award - did it happen ?

That rings the rusty old bells of my memory but I don't recall the details.

The ringing is too loud. :lol:

Regards

Brian

Yes, it's been introduced by the British, "The Elizabeth Cross" - & it appears to be based on the Canadian award.

Hi Leigh,

Another beautiful cross design, it's sad that it conveys such a great loss.

Thanks for posting it.

Regards

Brian

Brian Wolfe wrote:

The Canadian Memorial Cross was issued to wives and mothers of servicemen who had died during World War One, instituted in December 1919 with a second version introduced in August 1940 for servicemen who died in the Second World War. The difference being the Royal cypher.

The above statement is not entirely accurate, as many Memorial Crosses awarded early in World War II were actually Great War crosses with the GV cypher. The Memorial Cross below was issued to Major Arthur Boyston Slee who won the MC as a Major in the RFA during the Great War. After the war he emigrated to Canada and during the early part of World War II he was a Major in the Royal Canadian Artillery serving with No. III N. P. A. M. Training Center at Saanich, British Columbia. He died of a heart attack on 31 October 1940 and was buried at Duncan, B.C. Memorial Crosses were issued on 26 June 1941 to his wife and mother, and were of the Great War type with the George V cypher.

Gunner 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good Evening Gentlemen......

Here is a Q.E.2 Canadian Memorial Cross issued to a man who died of TB which he contracted while on active service in WW2.....

Mike

Brian Wolfe wrote:

The above statement is not entirely accurate, as many Memorial Crosses awarded early in World War II were actually Great War crosses with the GV cypher. The Memorial Cross below was issued to Major Arthur Boyston Slee who won the MC as a Major in the RFA during the Great War. After the war he emigrated to Canada and during the early part of World War II he was a Major in the Royal Canadian Artillery serving with No. III N. P. A. M. Training Center at Saanich, British Columbia. He died of a heart attack on 31 October 1940 and was buried at Duncan, B.C. Memorial Crosses were issued on 26 June 1941 to his wife and mother, and were of the Great War type with the George V cypher.

Gunner 1

Hello Gunner 1,

I stand corrected.

Many thanks for this information.

Regards

Brian

Good Evening Gentlemen......

Here is a Q.E.2 Canadian Memorial Cross issued to a man who died of TB which he contracted while on active service in WW2.....

Mike

Hello Mike,

Very nice example and thanks for posting it.

Regards

Brian