News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hungarian Mining Awards

I had a devil of a time tracking one of these down, until I figured out it was awarded over a span of less than a year. It's a Rakosi period Meritorious Mining Service Medal, Bronze grade. It was began in early 1956... later that same year was the failed revolution and, after 1957, the same medal continued but with the Kadar arms (fairly easy to get). The Bronze grade was for 10 years service in the mines or 15 years service for mine-related work. The time was retroactive to 4 April 1945 so you can see that this was the only grade that could have been awarded, even though Gold and Silver were, as far as I know, made.

Here's a Kiváló Bányász (Excellent Miner) badge from 1954, which I've also posted in the Kivalo Dolgozol badge thread. A three piece badge, it's construction is very similar to many medals of the era. What I don't know is if the medal I posted at the beginning of this thread would have taken the place of this badge or if the two were awarded during the same time period.

Greg - The "Kivalo" sereis was always for exceptional work: increaed production, exceptional work ethic, etc... the "Szolgalati" is for years of service and had little to do with performance. Service medals such as these were appearing at the 10 year annaversary of the end of WWII, the military had the Meritorious Service Medal (blue enameled center with crossed PPSHs and Rakosi coat of arms) to sit in for 10 years of service as well as for exceptional serivce (allowing multiple awards of such) The civilian sector and the miltary sector were close in their thinking, but a little different in their execution of the reward.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice case! Wish I had one for mine (really makes a difference).

Here's a cased Excellent Worker in the Mining Industry badge and miniature. This is the first case I've encountered that actually has a recess for the mini. Judging by the case (same scuff as Stogieman's above; no seal but a rectangular "moulding" around the top) I would say it's from the later '50's/early '60's. Due to the "glare" when photographing gilt against white enamel, I've included a second shot of the lettering.

• 1 month later...