News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

If you can look beyond the other items in this picture you can see my DDR flag that appears to be designed to hang vertically. I was hoping someone might have a definitive answer as to what type of flag this was. Scott.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_07_2010/post-4139-127973684093.jpg.jpg]

It's a standard generic DDR flag that could be bought in several places in East Berlin. It's likely that this flag was hung both outdoors and indoors for various events. Here is a photo of much larger outdoor balcony flags I took during a parade in 1988: 2205597905_5124aeb45a_o.jpg

Edited by ehrentitle

Still a really cool flag!

It sure fits the mold of an indoor wall hanger or vertical balcony drape. It seems to be an all weather variety. I picked it up in Germany in 1990. I though it would look good sometime behind a display. Thanks for the info. Scott.

• 4 weeks later...

It sure fits the mold of an indoor wall hanger or vertical balcony drape. It seems to be an all weather variety. I picked it up in Germany in 1990. I though it would look good sometime behind a display. Thanks for the info. Scott.

Scott

Very nice display, I always wanted to go to Germany, I hope to do so some time in the future.

Lorenzo

• 2 years later...

If you can look beyond the other items in this picture you can see my DDR flag that appears to be designed to hang vertically. I was hoping someone might have a definitive answer as to what type of flag this was. Scott.

attachicon.gif2074889860105252184S500x500Q85[1.jpg]

Hi Scott,

nice picture. But there is one BIG mistake. NVA-Soldiers in BDU's never put their trousers into the boots! The NVA clothes regulation clearly said, that the trousers had to wear over the boots. That's why the trousers have buttons at the end. ;)

greedings from (East)Germany

@Paul:

Unfortunately, no. I was born 1987 in the GDR. But I collect since seven years intensly GDR and Cuba militaria and I maintain close relationships to former NVA soldiers and officers (to Cubans too).

And I collect several NVA regulation books.

I will upload some pics of my collection in the next days. Here you will find some parts of my collection (left side: --> 1969 Strichtarn, --> Exkurs 80er Jahre, --> Exkurs UTV 85-90, "M. Leyva" that's me)

To your question:

The NVA haven't participated in active combat operations. The GDR concentrated their engagement in states of the "third world" in the form of military counsel and education missions. And they sent munitions, for example to Angola and Mozambique. The GDR didn't comply with setting of battle units and airforce pilots. But with good grace the Ministry of National Defence closed contracts for training of foreign military personnel. In the GDR thousands of soldiers were trained. They came from: Angola, Afghanistan, Ethiopia, People's Republic of Yemen, Cambodia, People's Republik of Congo, Cuba, Laos, Libya, Mozambique, Nicaragua, North Corea, Palestine, Tansania, Guinea,Syria and Vietnam.

Here an example of this military education in the GDR:

nvaausbildung.jpg

Soldiers from Mozambique, NVA dressed, in the GDR.

Edited by Riker87