News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Painting SM Kaiserliche Marine Uboat returns

Hello David

Thank you for your comment. Of course I was interested in it as historical document. It seems to come from the "Nachlass" of a german navy uboat member. I will try to search on the "Vorpostenboot" number to locate somehow the scene

regards

Alex

Alejandro,

The ships number does not look like a German designation. If you look at the mast there appears to be a British jack flying under the German Flag. This would mean to me, that this was a prize being brought back by a boarding party of the U-boat who accompanied it into harbor.

Dan Murphy

Hello Daniel

Your observation is really interesting, I haven?t seen this detail.

Great thanks

Alejandro

Alejandro,

The ships number does not look like a German designation. If you look at the mast there appears to be a British jack flying under the German Flag. This would mean to me, that this was a prize being brought back by a boarding party of the U-boat who accompanied it into harbor.

Dan Murphy

I wonder if that ship's number is researchable?! The ship's number is a little too obvious for it to simply be part of the painter's imagination. This could be documentation of a real event!

I could be wrong but what if...

Paul

You are right Paul

It seems to be an event painting. Maybe also the harbour entry could be recognize?

It will be interesting a research in Uboat operations records and prices taken in german ports by this Uboat type, if these records are preserved. The boat looks like the U 31-37 series Germania Werft, if I am correct.

regards

Alejandro

It looks like an imperial flag on the sub., and a dazzle painted ship to the left, making me think its WWI , as only the British used dazzle painted ships (I think) and also the sailors are waving their arms, is this possibly an image of a U-boat being captured. Or could it be an image of the final surrender of the German fleet in 1918?

Regards,

Pete

Edited by wood