News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Iraqi SF/Thunders/Para displays

2xvetran

This is my display of an Iraqi Republic era Thunder Trooper. He is wearing an Iraqi produced ultra lightweight woodland pattern camo uniform. He has the green beret and crossed lightning bolt badge for Thunders, the SSI, and the wings and breast badge. Scott.

2468952570105252184S425x425Q85.jpg

2252628890105252184S425x425Q85.jpg

That is a very attractive ensemble!!! How many of these men were there?

Wish I knew more about them Paul. Apparently it wasn't very healthy to go around asking questions during the regime periodviolent.gif . It looks like there were at least 4 different groups, possibly 6 but the size of each remains a mystery. it will be really interesting as years go by to learn more about these and other units within the Iraqi military. Thanks for the compliment and take care out on the ship. Scott.

Wish I knew more about them Paul. Apparently it wasn't very healthy to go around asking questions during the regime periodviolent.gif . It looks like there were at least 4 different groups, possibly 6 but the size of each remains a mystery. it will be really interesting as years go by to learn more about these and other units within the Iraqi military. Thanks for the compliment and take care out on the ship. Scott.

I was told that these units were being established after the 1967 Six Day War to be a QRF to train and fight against Israel. Iraq, Egypt, Jordan, and Syira had arab augmentational troops (Thunder Troops) to provide a vast number of highly trained troops to be able to move to the front at a moments notice.

Lorenzo

2118128000103172408S600x600Q85.jpg

2781893610103172408S600x600Q85.jpg

Here is an older verison of the Badge, I was also told that the Thunder Troops were started by Egypt?? Still in Question I could not find any research on the topic:

Lorenzo

2854906740103172408S600x600Q85.jpg

2039336110103172408S600x600Q85.jpg

Here are the three in my set of the 1991 version of the badges and yes I have seen 6 color variations of the badges, Scott the White claw one could have been an error in the enameling and was not corrected before it was glazed. Can you please post a close of view image of the white claw badge that you have in your collection:

Thank you

Lorenzo

Here is another one of my displays. This is a Republican Guard officer from the 2003 War, wearing a nicely made woodland camo uniform with the acrylic red sleeve triangles, matching camo shoulder boards, and the RG red qardoon. This uniform came from the Airbase near Mosul in 2003. Scott.

2335458170105252184S600x600Q85.jpg

Here s the Iraqi copy of the British DPM camo from the 1990-91 Gulf War. This uniform is probably locally produced as it has the distinctive pen pocket on the sleeve. It has matching camo Captains boards, gold bordered RG sleeve triangles, the pin on pre 1991 breast flag, a hard missions badge, red RG qardoon and black enamel wings on the breast. I will get it all photographed on a mannequin when things slow down around herecool.gif . Scott.

2219699670105252184S600x600Q85.jpg

Very nice,cheers.gif Do you have a clear view of the plack. Does the trinagle mean that it was a Republican Guard Unit??

Lorenzo

I will take a better picture another time, yes the triangle and the translation both say RG. I will post the translation with a better picture. Scott.

Thank you for the quick reply;)

Lorenzo

Edited by IMHF

Damned nice stuff Scott! Are most of the RG sleeve triangles made of acrylic are are they more often seen as the red sew on patches?

I wish I had a definate answer for you Paul. I saw mostly the sewn on variety in many different sizes and materials. That being said, I have made a conscious effort to find different varieties of the acrylic ones as well. I have red, red with white border, and red with gilt edge in metal for the pin on varieties. Hope this helps and thanks for the compliments. Scott.

• 3 months later...

post-3626-050747400 1290189831_thumb.jpg

In my Photos here you can see 2 officers wearing the solied bronze enamel coverd Thunder Troops Badge. One of the Iraqi Officers is wearing the double ended Lightning bolt insignia on his cap.

Lorenzo

Great photos! It's always nice to see period photos of uniforms and insignia -- these are often hard to find. The photos are from the 1980s or 1990s I'm guessing?
    <BR><BR><BR>I am thinking more along the line of 1967-1970's thank you for the view these are awesome photos picked them up at a great price along with 30 others. <BR><BR>Lorenzo Edited by IMHF