News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Iraqi SF/Thunders/Para displays

2xvetran

• 5 weeks later...

post-3626-068886700 1292977069_thumb.jpg

I won this badge on an online auction, the seller stated it is an Iraqi Commandos Jump Wing Insignia Badge. I have 3 days to identify the badge to find out if it is an Iraqi militaria relic ?? I was wondering if anyone here on the GMIC knows what it is??

Thank you

Lorenzo

Edited by IMHF

I saw this listing too. I didn't like the mounting pin on the back, doesn't resemble any of the older Iraqi styles. Perhaps it is something from the new Army but the parachute is quite a bit different from any other that you see in use in Iraq. Maybe Chris (zvezdah1) would know more? Scott.

I saw this listing too. I didn't like the mounting pin on the back, doesn't resemble any of the older Iraqi styles. Perhaps it is something from the new Army but the parachute is quite a bit different from any other that you see in use in Iraq. Maybe Chris (zvezdah1) would know more? Scott.

Well I already paid the dealer and told him to give me 3 days to find out what it was before he ships it out. I hope it is Iraqi that is the only reason why didn't want to pass it up.

Can you ask Chris about it for me Scott

Thank you

Lorenzo

It's Egyptian airborne insignia. But given that Iraq and Egypt seem to have used similar commando insignia, Iraq may also have adopted it.

Many Egyptian examples have a manufacturers mark on the back, but this one doesn't. But no reason to think it's not authentic.

post-3626-050747400 1290189831_thumb.jpg

In my Photos here you can see 2 officers wearing the solied bronze enamel coverd Thunder Troops Badge. One of the Iraqi Officers is wearing the double ended Lightning bolt insignia on his cap.

Lorenzo

Isn't the "double ended lightning bolt" the Iraqi insignia for the communication rank?

Bob

Isn't the "double ended lightning bolt" the Iraqi insignia for the communication rank?

Bob

Definetly a signal badge on that hat Bob. I guess even the commandos had to communicate though, just not the Thunder style badge like you sent me. Scott.

Thank you for the help my brother Scott, I contacted Chris he told me he had no idea of what it was have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year;)

Lorenzo

Those are some really amazing photographs. I am not a fan of the badge either... It looks too "commercial", if that makes any sense.

Paul

Thank you for the comments on the photos, I have been focusing on collecting older images with Insignias and Medals being worn to document the Iraqi Military proper wear of them by dates.

Thank you

Lorenzo

It's Egyptian airborne insignia. But given that Iraq and Egypt seem to have used similar commando insignia, Iraq may also have adopted it.

Many Egyptian examples have a manufacturers mark on the back, but this one doesn't. But no reason to think it's not authentic.

Thank you for the information, I have decided just to keep the badge and will add it to my Para Insignia collection of the arab world.

Thank you

Lorenzo

Thank you for the information, I have decided just to keep the badge and will add it to my Para Insignia collection of the arab world.

Thank you

Lorenzo

That's a good decision, para stuff is generally a safe bet to just stash away for a "rainy" day. Scott.

post-3626-057155700 1293485783_thumb.jpg

Here is another Photo I purchased of an Iraqi Officer, you can see on his right sleeve that he is wearing the Iraqi Thunder Troop Insignia.

Thank you for viewing

Lorenzo

post-3626-057155700 1293485783_thumb.jpg

Here is another Photo I purchased of an Iraqi Officer, you can see on his right sleeve that he is wearing the Iraqi Thunder Troop Insignia.

Thank you for viewing

Lorenzo

Interesting that he is wearing the Kingdom style rank pips with the Thunder patch. I wonder if he would be part of the combined Arab force that was to go against Israel? Do you know the period that the photo was taken? Very nice photo of this insignia being worn:jumping: Scott.