News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Imperial group of four with 1939 War Merit Cross

Hello Everyone,

Here is another group of Imperial German medals that I just purchased.

The group consists of the 1914 EK2, 1939 War Merit Cross with crossed swords (in bronze), the 1914/18 Honour Cross and the Prussian 25 Year Long Service Cross.

The group comes with the Garbow and Matthes,Kiel tag so I am fairly confident about this group being authentic. This is where you jump in and pull the rug out from under me. :lol:

Actually making mistakes is the way I learn, though by that thinking I should be a very wise man!

By the way, while I am learning I am adding to my "junk" box quite frequently.

I do have a question regarding the Prussian L.S. Cross though. I have seen this offered as the officer's Long Service Cross. Is this accurate or just another ploy by the dealer to sell his groups? I was under the impression that the officers L.S. Cross had an enameled centre.

Thanks for your comments, as always they are welcomed.

Regards

Brian

:love: Another great addition Brian. The long service cross is exactly as it should be. Maybe you are thinking of the Crown Order 4th Class? I has an enamelled centre with light blue ribbon.

Here is a medal bar in my collection belonging to Generalleutnant Kurt Dittmar....he had the Crown Order 4th Class.

Kind regards

Matt

Edited by M Hunter

I do have a question regarding the Prussian L.S. Cross though. I have seen this offered as the officer's Long Service Cross. Is this accurate or just another ploy by the dealer to sell his groups? I was under the impression that the officers L.S. Cross had an enameled centre.

Prussian military long service awards were never enemaled.

From 1825 to 1914, this cross was awarded to officers only. Just from 1914 on up to 1920, it was also awarded to lower ranks. Due to the missing of enemaled orders this might well be a ex-NCO's bar, and with the Kiel maker tag likely a navy guy.

Prussian military long service awards were never enemaled.

From 1825 to 1914, this cross was awarded to officers only. Just from 1914 on up to 1920, it was also awarded to lower ranks. Due to the missing of enemaled orders this might well be a ex-NCO's bar, and with the Kiel maker tag likely a navy guy.

Great information! :jumping:

Possible ex-NCO and Navy personnel. That's amazing, something I would have never found out on my own.

Thanks again.

Regards

Brian