News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Now that we no longer have a KM photo forum i was not sure where to post these images,so i thought i would post them here.

These are pic's i have just obtained that show the crewmen of the Hilfskreuzer Thor in Japan.

This first photo was taken outside of the Hakone Hotel on the shore of Lake Ashi,where i beleive they were billeted.

Regards,Martin.

This second photo was taken,i beleive on the shore of Lake Ashi,which according to Google diplays spectacular views of Mt Fuji,which can be seen in the background.The Hakone Hotel on Lake Ashi was established in 1926,so i am sure this the Hotel that housed the crewmen of the Thor?

Regards,Martin.

Super photos Martin. With the quality of material you have been picking up and the rate you've been acquiring it, you should consider producing a book on the subject at some point !

Hello!

I agree. :jumping: :jumping: :jumping::cheers:

All the best

Morten.

I think if i ever got down to writing a book it would be on Hilfskreuzer awards. :whistle:

Perhaps not my place to say,but i think Joe already has an idea for another HK book,and it is not the THOR.

Anyway here are a couple of more photo's from Japan.

The writing on the reverse of this image says,"Internierungslagen der Kriegsmarine,Ashinoyu-Japan"

With a lot of time on my hands and after looking at hundreds of photos, here is the exact spot today. The hotel is there and looks quite nice and updated, not expensive by any standards either. Might be a nice place to stay. Favorite non nature attraction is a pirate ship of all things.

I have done this all over Europe by the way, sort of a hobby--before and now shots.

John

Edited by John R