News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Croix de commandeur de l’ordre de Léopold de Belgique

Hello All.

I have bought (do not have it yet) the " Croix de commandeur de l'ordre de Léopold de Belgique " (Belgian Commander's Cross of the Order of Leopold). I am relatively familiar with this medal, but have some questions for this forum. (NOTE: it was made by Arthus Bertrand of Paris.)

1. when was this Order established?

- correlated question : was it established by Leopold I or II?

2. is it still awarded today?

3. is it the highest Order of Belgium?

- correlated question : if no, where does it place in priority?

4. is it military, civil, or both (who qualified to receive it)?

5. in how many classes does it come?

6. any estimate how many of these (Commander's Cross) have been issued?

Any and all information is welcome. Hopefully the photo is clear enough for you to make at least a general assessment.

Thank you all in advance. Linas

Dear Linas

Order of Leopold II and not Order of Leopold

1. this Order established?by Leopold II in 1900 as an Order of the Indepandant State of Congo-

the order became Belgian end of 1908 when it became Belgian Congo and the center of the order changed from the arms of Congo Freestate into the belgian Lion and "Travail et Progres" will chanche in 'l'Union fait la Force"

2. It is still awarded today

3. it is the 5th Order of Belgium, but 2 of the 5 are no more awarded (The Order of the African Star an de Royal order of the Lion )

so you can say it is now the 3th order

4. It is a military and civil Order, mostly given for long service in the administration and Armed Forces

5. It exist in 5 Classes and 3 medals

Grand Cross - Grand officer - Commander - Officer - Knight, medals golde, silver, brons

6. any estimate how many of these (Commander's Cross) have been issued?

A lott, a few thousand

Guy

1. The Order of Leopold II is an order of Belgium and is named in honor of King Léopold II. The decoration was established on 24 August 1900 by Leopold II as king of the Congo Free State and was in 1908, upon Congo being handed over to Belgium, incorporated into the Belgian awards system. The order is awarded for meritorious service to the Sovereign of Belgium, and as a token of his personal goodwill. It can be awarded to both Belgians and foreigners.

The order has become a long service order for people in the civil service and is awarded alternatively with the Order of the Crown, as the Order of Leopold is awarded under rarer circumstances. The Order of Leopold II is awarded by Royal Decree.

2. It is still awarded to this day.

3. The Order currently stands third after the Order of Leopold (1st) and the Order of the Crown (2nd) in the Belgian honors hierarchy.

4. Yours is Civil. The military award has crossed swords added to the ribbon when awarded in wartime.

5. Awarded in five classes: Grand Cordon, Grand Officer, Commander, Officer, and Knight.

6. I do not know but I will let one of our Belgian friends chime in.

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_Leopold_II

Edited by Gldank

Dear James

A little correction to your message, there is only one type of order cross for the Order of Leopold II, there is no difference between a civilian or military attribution (not with swords), only the order of Leopold has swords for the military division

see for the different classes http://www.klm-mra.be/klm-new/engels/collecties/OMD-ENG/leopold-II/leopold-ii.htm

Guy

Edited by g_deploige

Hello All.

I do not have the medal yet, but the box is from Arthus Bertrand. Once I receive the medal I will verify on he medal itself if it IS Arthus Bertrand.

Question: is there something "special" about an Arthus Bertrand-version?

Thanks. Linas

• 3 months later...

Hello All.

I do not have the medal yet, but the box is from Arthus Bertrand. Once I receive the medal I will verify on he medal itself if it IS Arthus Bertrand.

Question: is there something "special" about an Arthus Bertrand-version?

Thanks. Linas

Linas,

Although I was not the one who questioned that - I'll try to comment.

LII examples made by Bertrand are quite rare, some collectors even question if that firm even made that particular Order. I have seen one myself but in higher class (star of Grand Officer - that was marked with Bertrand's plaque on reverse). Square mark of 'A*B & Cie' was used relatively late (1930's on) and on silver examples post WW2 that would often have 'AB&Cie 800' mark (at times even missing the normal silver mark). Punch mark in 'diamond' shape of 'AB&Cie' was used earlier - very hard to ascertain exact dates but according to my correspondence with Lady Bertrand (this was some time ago) indication of 1908- late 1920's.

In my experience, this firm did not mark all of their pieces (French and others) so it can be difficult to judge without seeing marked insignia of same type.

Hope this helps.