News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

You need to lern reading old german writing.... :whistle:

It means:

Herr Oberleutnant zur See Schroeder

For shure it belongs to him.... and he was on SMS ILTIS which was proudly allowed to wear the pour le merite !!! (The ship - not Schroeder .... ;) )

Heiko

Thanks Heiko, yes I need to learn to read old German writing. I though the old Spanish was bad. When was he on S.M.S. Iltis? Thanks Captain Albert

When was he on S.M.S. Iltis? Thanks Captain Albert

Franz-Christoph Schroeder (1879-1925) was promoted to Kapitänleutnant on March 30, 1906 - so the card must be from before that date.

His awards:

Roter Adler Orden 4th class - Iron cross 2nd class - Rettungs Medaille (life saving medal) - Mecklenburg Militarverdienstkreuz 2nd class

The Kanonenboot (Gunboat) Iltis built in 1898 was assingend to colonial service in Tsingtau (China). After leaving Kiel (Germany) in Feb. 1899 the ltis never returned to Germany again. The ship was scuttled by its crew on Sept 28, 1914 in the harbor of Tsingtau.

Did you get the entire lot? The diaries are incredible. I would like to read them

Edited by Naxos

Franz-Christoph Schroeder (1879-1925) was promoted to Kapitänleutnant on March 30, 1906 - so the card must be from before that date.

The Kanonenboot (Gunboat) Iltis built in 1898 was assingend to colonial service in Tsingtau (China). After leaving Kiel (Germany) in Feb. 1899 the ltis never returned to Germany again. The ship was scuttled by its crew on Sept 28, 1914 in the harbor of Tsingtau.

Did you get the entire lot? The diaries are incredible. I would like to read them

I started reading the diaries and schroeder was on the S.M.S. Iltis 12 June to 25 September 1903.His commander was Korvettenkapitän Oskar Graf von Platen zu Hallermund. Admiral count Oskar Rudolf Karl Marius of Platen zu hallermund, was the The Last Marshal of Kaiser Wilhelm II. It appears Schroeder then transferred to S.M.S. Hertha - Midshipman Koehlers ship (until he transferred to S.M.S. Thetis, before the Hertha returned to Germany.

Yes I got the entire lot. You may get the opportunity to read the diaries, I need help in translating them. And yes the hand drawn maps, charts, ships, ports, and landscapes etc. are fantastic. Schroeder was an accomplish artist and draftsman. I will post some of the better stuff, as time allows. Cheers Captain Albert :cheers:

Edited by army historian

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for not replying sooner. There are 2 volumes. I guess about 250 pages, covers 1896 to 1910. Has some beautiful hand drawn illustrations, topography, harbors, etc. He was a gifted artist. Very interesting - I need to get help in translating. As is my German leaves a lot to be desired (non speaker). Cheers Captain Albert

Diaries?

Ohhhhhh...how extensive are these? :cheers:

Edited by army historian

again sorry for the late reply. Yes I got a xerox from what looks like a "Vanity Book" (see below). Cheers Captain Albert

post-8299-008747600 1286068823_thumb.jpg

post-8299-093172600 1286068843_thumb.jpg

Alright, I will see what I can do. There is a document (pass - for Schroeder from Kaiser safe passport to Istanbul, Turkey. There are two promotion patents, A signed photo of Prince Adalbert (Prinz von Preussen) 1903-1905, (From prince Adalbert to his dear Schroeder in friendly remembrance of the II. Torpedodivision. The xerox picture of Schroeder, and the two diaries, with some photos, many drawing, etc. I believe that about covers it. Cheers Captain Albert

post-8299-032868400 1286239615_thumb.jpg

post-8299-034617600 1286239791_thumb.jpg