News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A Berlin Vet's Order of the Red Star

I picked up this ORS today at the Yerevan flea market - while it's a higher number than the one I already own, I consider this one an upgrade because it comes with the recipient's awards booklet and his Capture of Berlin Medal and document. The Berlin connection fits right into my interests; one for later research. Also, the awards booklet shows he received the Bravery Medal - unfortunately, that wasn't along with the group.

First the Order of Red Star:

Great find, Rick! :jumping::cheers: The Red Star is an MZPP variation (s/n 1,79x,xxx-1,95x,xxx and 2,05x,xxx-2,5xx,xxx). These are easily identified by the engraving style of the serial number. It is a 1945 award, though I'm sure someone with Echoes of War could give you a more exact date. The Berlin medal is variation 2 (ring connected to the medal). Neither of these variations is particularly rare, though MZPP pieces tend to fetch a little more.

Too bad the bravery medal is missing. Maybe keep an eye out for it at the market. Sometimes missing medals reappear very close to their origin. One such case just happened on another forum.

Are you going to research this group? I hope so!

Alex

At some point, I will have this one researched; the Berlin connection is just too tempting to me - I need to know more. :P

And you know, I hadn't thought about scouring the Bravery Medals at the market to see if it drifted down-stream. :banger: Now I have a reason to return to the market today! :cheers:

Funny thing is that this particular dealer has some Bravery Medals... You don't think he missed it himself do you? :speechless1: Nah. :unsure: But worth a look... :P

• 2 months later...

That is an awesome Red Star. You should have it researched. It should be an insteresting story. What is the rank of the soldier in the orders booklet?

I hope that you are able to find the Bravery Medal.

Paul - from his Berlin doc; старшина Starshina or Sergeant Major. His name is Armenian; so, there is also a very good chance he was in the 89th Division - a mostly Armenian division and involved in the Capture of Berlin.

I will definitely look to get this one researched - if I can find a reasonable priced researcher. :whistle: