News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

New British finds

I went to nice little show that was very poorly attended. I did not find any Imperial German gems for the collection and I was digging deep at the show. I was going through one dealers "Junk" box and found these:

The VC is marked as copy before anyone falls over! This was all of the "England" stuff he had and wanted to get rid of it. We made a deal and for the grand total of $25 it was all mine! :jumping:

The victory with the ribbon is to a Pte in the KOSB and the one without is to a gunner in the RA. It has been corrected and I believe it was done when named.

The ribbon bar was the special piece and for $5 I think I got a great buy but I want to see what you think.

Edited by CRBeery

I see DCM,BWM,Vicory,39-45 Star,Defence Medal,39-45 War Medal, Army LS, WW1 Belgian War Cross. I am guessing he entered after the start of 1916 or at least did not make it overseas until 1916. He came back for WW2 but stayed at home. Would this be an elisted man? Any help will be appreciated.

I see DCM,BWM,Vicory,39-45 Star,Defence Medal,39-45 War Medal, Army LS, WW1 Belgian War Cross. I am guessing he entered after the start of 1916 or at least did not make it overseas until 1916. He came back for WW2 but stayed at home. Would this be an elisted man? Any help will be appreciated.

Yes, DCM only awarded to Enlisted men. After could be an officer. It appears a needle like pin was inserted to hold the ribbon bar on tunic, or there may have been clips on the tunic. A nice cheap find. Cheers Captain Albert

The ribbon bar without visible attachment system is not unusual for both ORs and officers. I have similar ribbon bars from both wars. Your ribbon bar probably belonged to a long serving regular NCO as he has the Long Service and Good Conduct Medal ribbon. The presence of the 1939-45 Star without any other campaign stars would indicate that he probably served in France or Norway in 1940 and then remained in the UK for the remainder of the war. Gunner 1

Hello, CBeery, you need to check the WW1 Victory names - see if either has "D.C.M." on it. Also check the names to see if either may have had the D.C.M. Cheers Captain Albert

The vics wouldn't have DCM impressed on them. However if you post the naming details i can do a gazette search and see what comes up.

Cheers

Chris

The way I found these I did not think that one of the medals could belong to the bar. They are

14801 Pte. J. Grey K.O.S.B.

134743 Gnr. J. Traynor. R.A.

Thanks for all of the help. I will put these into my little British pile and when I have some time I will get thier index cards.

Chet

The way I found these I did not think that one of the medals could belong to the bar. They are

14801 Pte. J. Grey K.O.S.B.

134743 Gnr. J. Traynor. R.A.

Thanks for all of the help. I will put these into my little British pile and when I have some time I will get thier index cards.

Chet

Hi Chet

For Traynor:

http://www.nationala...1&resultcount=1

Royal Garrison Artillery 134743 Gunner

Labour Corps 580850 Gunner

not having any luck yet with Grey very strange....

Cheers

Chris

Edited by censlenov

I just looked through 510 J. Gray names with no luck. Are all of the medals listed?

I also tried 14801 with no luck.

I read a bit more and it seems Gray must have been in the 60% of the cards lost in WW2.

Edited by CRBeery

Chet,

There's a James Gray whose number is 18401 instead of 14801.

He served in the KOSB and then the Somerset LI with the number 54040, his medals according to the MIC, are named to 18401 Pte. J. Gray K.O.S.B.

If this is him they may have mixed up the numbers 8 and 4 when stamping them.

Tony

I bet that is him. Is it rare to have numbering mistakes? I will double check tonight on the number. Looks like this once was a trio. Has anyone ever had any luck in reuniting medals?

It looks like he was a Gallipoli man and landed for the big August push. I have read a couple of books about this part of the war and now a little part of it is here.

Edited by CRBeery

I think errors were made quite often and believe it was up to the serviceman to apply/send the medals for a correction.

I bought a pair of medals once with death scroll and condolence slip etc. all contained in the cardboard tube addressed to the soldier's wife. His name was Albert Benjamin Evans but his medals and all paper work were to Albert Evans, eventually a plaque to Albert Evans turned up and although I'll never know if it was actually his plaque, it now resides with his medals and paperwork.

Tony

• 2 months later...

John Traynor's Medal Index Card has his name corrected from "Trayhar"

His date of entry into theatre of war is written as 13/10/22, unfortunately the theatre is'nt stated.

A Dublin address is noted on the back of the card, looks like " C/O Fleming, 58 Sumnerhill Dublin".