News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Three Officers 1918 with iron-cross 1. class

Hi,

I need your help - I have a picture with three officers (August 1918) and I can't read the backside!

Thank you for any help you can give me!

Best regards, beer.gif

Jens

d??? am 26.8.18 ???

englischen??? Gefangenschaft?

zusammen ???

?. Friedrich.

?-??? 1. ???. G???

komp / 94.

Oberlt. Bauermeister mein

bester Freund,

??? Offz. b. Stabe / 94

K. Richter G.S.O. beim

Stabe / 94

aufgenommen im K???-

quartier bei Val???

nes nach 6 ???

Edited by KIR

... sorry - nothing clear to see on the shoulderboards! rolleyes.gif One guy with swedish-cuffs.

In the ranklist 1914/18 there are two Bauermeister:

- Füs.-Rgt. Nr.73 (à la suite): Oberzahlmeister and Rechnungsrat (page 245).

- Kür.-Rgt. Nr.5: Leutnant [st. b. OB Ost] OL a. D. (page 405)

In the ranklist 1914 there are some Bauermeister:

- Inf.-Rgt. Nr.26, Leutnant, Reserveoffizier Cottbus (page 652)

- Inf.-Rgt. Nr.94, Leutnant, Reserveoffizier Dessau (page 693)

- Pion.-Btl. Nr.14, Leutnant, Reserveoffizier Dessau (page 824)

- Eisenbahnertruppen, Leutnant, Landwehr der Verkehrstruppen Torgau (page 858)

- Landwehrbezirk Woldenberg, Stabs-Veterinär, (page 1148)

- Landwehrbezirk Bitterfeld, Kavallerie, Leutnant (page 901)

- Füs.-Rgt. Nr.73 (à la suite): Oberzahlmeister (page 242).

- Kür.-Rgt. Nr.5: Leutnant (page 365).

Jens, what a gem of re-discovered history :jumping: - there must be something about their escape in the regimental history

Die am 26.8.1918 der englischen Gefangenschaft zusammen entronnenen

Leutnant Friedrich, Führer 1. Masch.-Gewehr-Komp. 94

Oberleutnant Bauermeister mein bester Freund, Masch.-Gew.Offz. beim Stab/94

K. Richter G.S.O. beim Stab/94

aufgenommen im Stabsquartier bei Valenciennes nach 6 schwerenWochen

The IR94 was part of the 38.Division that fought hard since August 21, 1918 near Scarpe (Nord-Pas-de-Calais) about 20 km from Valenciennes

Abwehrschlacht zwischen Scarpe und Somme 21.8.-2.9.1918

- got to get back to work.

Cheers, Hardy :cheers:

Edited by Naxos

Hardy,

wow - really great news about the picture! jumping.gifThank you very much for your great help!!! cheers.gif

Best regards,

Jens

p.s.. there are two regimental history: IR 94 – GenWiki I will try to get it. 2014.gif

p.p.s.: the ribbons from the guy on the leftside is wearing: EK2 and (maybe) the White-Falcon !?

Edited by KIR

... would love to hear details on their exploits.

Vince,

me too! And I still try to find the story "behind"! ;) But there are two regimental histories:

- Alexander von Hartmann: "Das Infanterie-Regiment Großherzog von Sachsen (5. Thüringisches) Nr. 94 im Weltkrieg." Kurzgefaßter Überblick. Berlin, Klasing & Co. 1921, 292 pages.

-Rudolf Thomas, Fritz Osmann: "Infanterie-Regiment 94 im Weltkriege" (Nachtragsband), 1933 Gablonz, Böhme, 823 pages.

... in the short history (from 1922) is nothing about the escape, the officers are named - but that all (*)! speechless.gif

Now I try to get the big history (with 823 pages) and I hope to find something about! 2014.gif

If I find something, I will tell you! cheers.gif

Thanks & best regards,

Jens

(*) In der kurzgefassten Regimentsgeschichte von 1922 steht zu der Flucht nichts vermerkt. Die namentliche Nennung der Offiziere ist auch dürftig, bis auf den Olt d.R. Bauermeister sind sie nur in der Stellenbesetzung genannt.

Sie haben alle drei den Krieg überlebt und der Olt d.R. Bauermeister wurde im November noch Führer des II.Bat. I.R.94.

Er war zusammen mit einem Olt. Schnuse der einzige Offizier der den Krieg vom ersten bis letzten Tag beim Regiment mitgemacht hat.

Edited by KIR

• 3 years later...

Very interesting story!

As I am myself interested in the history of the thuringian IR94, here is a common error: There are two IR94 out there! One is the thuringian IR 94 ( 5. Infanterie-Regiment Großherzog von Sachsen) and the other is an austrian KuK IR 94 (sudetendeutsches Böhmisches Infanterie-Regiment "Freiherr von Koller" Nr. 94)...

The Thomas and Osmann book is about the KuK regiment.

A late add-on to this thread but it might help people who do some on-line research...

Cheers,

Eckhart