News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

unbelievable

alex82

I hope this is of interest:

Check out this Auction Catalog from a Swiss Auction House: http://www.coins-la-...php?aid=60&pg=9 :jumping::jumping:

First: Where the hell do they find stuff like this?? for example the Precious Brilliant Golden Grain (Lot 87) or the 2nd Class Double Dragon (Lot 84)?

Second: Why are they trying to sell cheap fakes along whit these rare an almost impossible to get medals (Lot 105-109)????? :banger:

I will email them to ask (inform) about the fakes as soon as someone here whit more experience can confirm that the Lots 105-109 are fake...

best regards and a nice day to you all

a l e x

Edited by alex82

I hope this is of interest:

Check out this Auction Catalog from a Swiss Auction House: http://www.coins-la-...php?aid=60&pg=9 :jumping::jumping:

First: Where the hell do they find stuff like this?? for example the Precious Brilliant Golden Grain (Lot 87) or the 2nd Class Double Dragon (Lot 84)?

Second: Why are they trying to sell cheap fakes along whit these rare an almost impossible to get medals (Lot 105-109)????? :banger:

I will email them to ask (inform) about the fakes as soon as someone here whit more experience can confirm that the Lots 105-109 are fake...

best regards and a nice day to you all

a l e x

Alex:

Thanks for sharing that information and you are 100% correct on items 105 -109. However I would go slowly and carefully in your response to them. They are a very respected house and I have purchased items from them in the past with no complaints.

I am surprised that they would put these items in their catalog but if you have noticed all five of these have an entry price that is ridiculously low (300 Euros) and they do state that they are restrikes.

Richard

Thank you for your Reply Richard

I also had just very good experience whit this Auction House, It is based in Lausane which is just an hour drive from where I live and they have a very nice store in city center. I was just extremely surprised that they put this garbage in there and 300Euro are still 420$.

To be honest I didn't understood "restrike" in the first place (lack of English skills), still I think it's a nice word for "fake".

I agree whit you that it's probably better to not write them, It would not have any effect anyway.

However what do you think about the for example lot 87 the Precious Brilliant Golden Grain, where do they find stuff like that??? certainly not in Beijings antique street :whistle:

Thank' again Richard and lets hope someone here has the change to get one or two of these nice medals to post some closeups

best regards

a l e x

hi alex

thankyou for posting a link to these rare awards.

I heartedly agree. where DO they get them from? Full sets with box and the lot. beautiful....and expensive :-D

if they sure have these good medals , i am sure somedady want buy. but they sure have some bad copys on action.

oh, that's bad!!

how can a professional auction house do that?!

you can see and buy the fakes in chinese traditional market for very cheap price,

but this is aan international auction house and very high price..!!

it's differ with my country ODM, all of the production is under gov't control and reported to the national secretariat..

oh, that's bad!!

how can a professional auction house do that?!

you can see and buy the fakes in chinese traditional market for very cheap price,

but this is aan international auction house and very high price..!!

it's differ with my country ODM, all of the production is under gov't control and reported to the national secretariat..

The law relating to this is probably the National Protection of Cultural Treasures law, that was passed some years ago. This may explain the huge numbers of 'reproductions' and 'restrikes' that are entering the medal trade and also explain their 'legitimacy' in such venues as the larger auction houses as well as on eBay. However, I would assume that a Chinese citizen is able to purchase items such as the Most Precious Golden Grain

多數珍貴的金黃五穀 as well as the Striped Tiger (Wen Hu Xun Chang) for his own private collection provided that it remains in country. So you should be able to purchase these medals but not be allowed to export them. This should be a warning to all collectors that are considering purchasing Chinese medals that are originating from within China, they are not original cultural treasures and probably are suspect. I would appreciate any comments both pro and con regarding this issue. I have also posted my comments on the OMSA web site.

• 4 weeks later...

Take a look at the website again, the auction closed and you can see the winning bids, which are very interesting.

Lot 87: The Precious Brilliant Golden Grain went for 28000Euro (38000US$)!

Lots 106&107: They also sold 2 of these horrible fakes! one for 300Euro and one for 700Euro. What a waste of money!

Lots 96&97: both fine cloud and banner medals, they didn't sell at all. any explanation for that?

a l e x

Take a look at the website again, the auction closed and you can see the winning bids, which are very interesting.

Lot 87: The Precious Brilliant Golden Grain went for 28000Euro (38000US$)!

Lots 106&107: They also sold 2 of these horrible fakes! one for 300Euro and one for 700Euro. What a waste of money!

Lots 96&97: both fine cloud and banner medals, they didn't sell at all. any explanation for that?

a l e x

Hi Alex:

What is more unbelievable is that they did not identify them as the Cloud and Banner! What is your take on that?

Richard

The law relating to this is probably the National Protection of Cultural Treasures law, that was passed some years ago. This may explain the huge numbers of 'reproductions' and 'restrikes' that are entering the medal trade and also explain their 'legitimacy' in such venues as the larger auction houses as well as on eBay. However, I would assume that a Chinese citizen is able to purchase items such as the Most Precious Golden Grain

多數珍貴的金黃五穀 as well as the Striped Tiger (Wen Hu Xun Chang) for his own private collection provided that it remains in country. So you should be able to purchase these medals but not be allowed to export them. This should be a warning to all collectors that are considering purchasing Chinese medals that are originating from within China, they are not original cultural treasures and probably are suspect. I would appreciate any comments both pro and con regarding this issue. I have also posted my comments on the OMSA web site.

I think the amount of fakes entering the market is mostly due to the profit potential, like the fake American coins from China (and counterfeit other items). So far on eBay the fake medals are never listed as fakes. The seller don't say anything and let the bidders decide whether they are real or fake. Same with coins and paper money I have seen too, never any mention of fakes. Although a lot of coins are pictured with "COPY" on them but I hear that some bidders receive them without it!

Although not related, but in a sense with what I am trying to say, some types of knives and toy guns are banned in China. I see some Chinese bidders buy WWII Chinese daggers off eBay and they probably have to know people to get these daggers into China. Toy guns (airsoft) are being destroyed in China and are illegal to be manufacturerd, but a high majority sold of these in the US are made in China! So, it can be easy to get things done in China if you know the right people (and have the right money). :whistle:

If any items go to China, it will create a scarcity. There will be collectors, but there will be less items to collect.

Hi Alex:

What is more unbelievable is that they did not identify them as the Cloud and Banner! What is your take on that?

Richard

Hey Richard, that was exactly my thought! I also have the print version of there auction catalog, which is beautifully made both in quality of paper and print as well as the quality of the pictures. Same situation there the medals are not named. How can they not identify them? maybe I have to pay a visit to there store and offer my services – I cash the paycheck in medals of course. :whistle:

best regards

a l e x