News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal ribbons fade to white

Guest IMHF

Very nice grouping. How many of the GSMs were awarded. Was it a long service award?

Not sure Owain do you know how many were awarded with Clasps??

Lorenzo

Lorenzo,

Please accept my apologies for confusing the prices paid for these medals. As you rightly say the time to buy was in the mid-1990s and indeed I was fortunate to build up the bulk of my collection then and prior to the 2003 invasion. It would appear that following 2003 Iraqi awards became more popular and as demand increased supply decreased the few vendors in Baghdad have decided to milk us, the collectors, for what they can - and of course I cannot blame them for doing so. Prices from Iraqi sources do not reflect prices in Europe or US. However the dilemma that collectors face is that we are usually unable to forgo the opportunity of further acquisitions for financial prudence. I have colleagues in Kabul who suffer from the same dilemma. Indeed Afghan awards are even less researched than Arab awards and have little or no value in the West - relatively speaking. There is a vendor in Dubai of such awards amongst loads of other jewellery and junk - he is an Afghan and his attitude, very similar to vendors in Iraq and some I have known in Yemen, is that as Westerner you can afford to pay (and preferably through the nose)! Of course there are only relatively few collectors of Arab or indeed Iraqi awards and I try and manage vendors expectations by only ever buying one example of each award thereby making sure the vendor will not expect me to buy anything and everything - if only my pocket would allow me to do so.

This coming weekend I had planned to go hunting for medals in Sana' and then decided that visiting Yemen was not a good idea and then planned to go to Cairo - again not a good idea, and thus I am off to Muscat - a nice place but next to no medals!

Kind regards,

Owain

Lorenzo,

Please accept my apologies for confusing the prices paid for these medals. As you rightly say the time to buy was in the mid-1990s and indeed I was fortunate to build up the bulk of my collection then and prior to the 2003 invasion. It would appear that following 2003 Iraqi awards became more popular and as demand increased supply decreased the few vendors in Baghdad have decided to milk us, the collectors, for what they can - and of course I cannot blame them for doing so. Prices from Iraqi sources do not reflect prices in Europe or US. However the dilemma that collectors face is that we are usually unable to forgo the opportunity of further acquisitions for financial prudence. I have colleagues in Kabul who suffer from the same dilemma. Indeed Afghan awards are even less researched than Arab awards and have little or no value in the West - relatively speaking. There is a vendor in Dubai of such awards amongst loads of other jewellery and junk - he is an Afghan and his attitude, very similar to vendors in Iraq and some I have known in Yemen, is that as Westerner you can afford to pay (and preferably through the nose)! Of course there are only relatively few collectors of Arab or indeed Iraqi awards and I try and manage vendors expectations by only ever buying one example of each award thereby making sure the vendor will not expect me to buy anything and everything - if only my pocket would allow me to do so.

This coming weekend I had planned to go hunting for medals in Sana' and then decided that visiting Yemen was not a good idea and then planned to go to Cairo - again not a good idea, and thus I am off to Muscat - a nice place but next to no medals!

Kind regards,

Owain

No problem my brother, prices will never be known of the true value until I am dead and gone just like the WWII German Militaria for one type of Assault Badge could cost you, $350-$600.00 thats if it is even an original and not a reproduction made in the late 40's and 50's.

I really loved the medal bar with the rare kingdom bravery medal (named) you showed me you do find some very nice pieces for some great prices I would have paid $1,500.00 for it when you stated you paid $1,300.00.

I am still trying to get an Iraqi 7 Nisan 25 Year service in the Ba’ath Party Order Solid gold from the 1980’s. Was offered one in the West for $4,000 but in Iraq they are selling for $1900.00 when found.

So it is based on what a collector would pay just to have one each of every medal Iraq awarded.

Thank you so very much

Lorenzo

Lorenzo,

No idea as to how many were awarded but whilst the clasp Southern Kurdistan is scarce, with patience, it will appear - the other clasps are like hen's teeth.The medal and clasps are as follows::

Heading

English

Arabic

Transliteration

Obverse

General Service

الخدمة العامة

Al Khidmat Al A`ama

Reverse

Faisal The First 1344

فيصل الأول 1344

Faisal Al `Awal

Clasp

Southern Kurdistan 1930-31

كردستان الجنوبية 1930 - 31

Kurdistan Al Jenubiya

Barzan 1932

بارزان 1932

Barzan

Tiyareen Campaign 1933

حركات التيارين 1933

Harkat Al Tiyareen

Euphrates Campaign 1935

حركات الفرات 1935

Harkat Al Furat

Euphrates Campaign 1936

حركات الفرات 1936

Harkat Al Furat

Regards,

Owain

Owain

I was wondering if you could post some images of some clasps if you can for others to get an idea of the battles that they were awarded.

Thank you so much for the list you made this is very good information for me :cheers:

Lorenzo

Lorenzo ,

The instituting law is as follows - enjoy.

Owain

Published in IGG No. 11, 15 May, 1926

“LAW FOR THE CREATION OF GALLANTRY AND ACTIVE SERVICE MEDALS, 1926”

85. We, KING of IRAQ,

With the approval of the Senate and the Chamber of Deputies, do hereby order the enactment of the following Law: -

Article 1.

This Law shall be called “Gallantry and Active Service Medals Law” No. 34 of 1926.

Article 2

Two medals shall be created, the one to be called “Gallantry Medal” and the other “Active Service Medal”. Their designs, colours, ribbons and manner of wearing shall be defined by a special regulation.

Article 3

The Gallantry Medal may be awarded to officers and other ranks who exhibit exceptional gallantry in the battle line.

Article 4

The Active Service Medal may be awarded to officers, other ranks and persons who participate in active military operations which will be defined by the Ministry of Defence.

Article 5

This law shall come into force from the date of its publication in the Government Gazette.

Article 6

The Minister of Defence is charged with execution of this Law.

Made at Baghdad this 20th day of April, 1926, and the 8th day of Shawal 1344.

FAISAL

Prime Minister Minister of Defence

ABDUL MUHSIN AL SA’DUN NURI AL SA’ID

----00000----

Published in IGG No. 7, 13 February, 1927

50. The wearing of Iraq and Foreign Medals shall be in accordance with the following order, commencing from the right hand side:-

• The Iraq Medal.
    • The Gallantry Medal and Active Service Medal.
    • Other Iraq Medals.
    • Al Nahda Medal.
    • The Allies and Friendly Nations Medals and Decorations in order of seniority of date

(Published in the Waqayi al Iraqiya No. 511 dated 9-2-27)

----00000----

Published in IGG No.14 of 2 April, 1927)

90. REGULATIONS FOR THE EXECUTION OF LAW FOR THE CREATION OF GALLANTRY AND GENERAL SERVICE MEDALS – “No. 2 OF 1927”

WE, KING of IRAQ

In accordance with Para 1 of Article 26 of the Organic Law and Article 2 of “Law for the Creation of Gallantry and Active Service Medals, No. 34 of 1926” and with the approval of the Council of Ministers, do hereby order the enactment of the following Regulations:-

Article 1

• The Gallantry Medal shall be of the following shape: White silver disc, 1 ¼ inches diameter and 1/16th inch thickness, with two white triangular silver wings, each composed of eleven feathers attached to its lower sides, the bases of the wings being fixed on the circumference of the disc.
    • On one side of the disc shall be written “For Gallantry” and on the other side the name of His Majesty King “Faisal 1”.
    • The ribbon from which the medal is suspended shall be as follows: A piece of silk one square inch in size, the middle half of which shall be of dark red and the two side quarters black.
    • If the medal is granted more than once, a silver star with seven rays ½ centimetre shall be attached to the middle of the ribbon each time the grant of this medal is repeated, thus one star, two stars, three stars and so forth respectively.

Article 2

• The General Service Medal shall be of the following shape: Bronze disc, 1 ¼ inches diameter and 1/16th inch thickness, with a crescent at the bottom part and above it circular wreath open at the top. The disc is fixed upon two crossed rifles with their muzzles appearing at the top and their butts at the bottom of the disc.
    • The imaginary point of junction is the centre of the disc. At the top of the disc there shall be a radiation of nine lance points with its base fixed on the circumference of the disc and its top attached to the ribbon holder. On one side of the disc inside the wreath shall be written “General Service”(in Arabic) and on the other side the name of His majesty King “Faisal 1” and the Hijrah date of creating the medal.
    • The ribbon shall be as follows: A piece of silk, 1 ½ inches long and 1 ¼ inches breadth. The two side quarters of the piece shall be of green colour and the middle half white.
    • If the grant of this medal is repeated a silver clasp one-centimetre width shall be fixed to the ribbon on which shall be written the name and date of the campaign. This shall be repeated each time the medal is granted.

Article 3

The General Service Medal shall be worn next to the Gallantry Medal following the Iraq Orders and before of any other Iraq Medals on the left side of the chest.

Article 4

The regulations for the execution of Law for the Creation of Gallantry and Active Service Medals, No.1 dated 8th February 1927 are hereby cancelled.

Article 5

These regulations shall take effect from the date of their publication in the Iraq Government Gazette.

Article 6

The Ministers are charged with execution of these Regulations.

Made at Baghdad this 19th day of March, 1927, and the 16th day of Ramadhan, 1345.

FAISAL

JA’FAR AL ‘ASKARI RASHID ALI YASIN AL HASHIMI

Prime Minister Minister of Interior Minister of Finance

& Minister of Foreign Affairs

RAUF AL CHADIRICHI NURI AL SA’ID MUHD. AMIN ZAKI

Minister of Justice Minister of Defence Minister of Comms. & Works

“ABDUL MHADI AMIN ‘ALI

Minister of Education Minister of Awqaf

(Published in the Waqayi al Iraqiya No. 524 dated 27-3-27)

Wow this is very beautiful information, I wish I had a copy of the full Iraqi Government Gazzette for all Iraqi Orders, Medals and Badges.

Thank you so very much

Lorenzo

Article 4

The regulations for the execution of Law for the Creation of Gallantry and Active Service Medals, No.1 dated 8th February 1927 are hereby cancelled.

Owain

Are they talking about the Niello style silver Gallantry Medals were replaced with Government manufactured Awards?

Lorenzo

Article 4

Owain

Are they talking about the Niello style silver Gallantry Medals were replaced with Government manufactured Awards?

Lorenzo

This is the Gallantry Medal I am talking about, I was wondering are these the original ribbons that the medal was awarded with?

Lorenzo

Article 4

Owain

Lorenzo

I don't have a copy of this cancelled "regulations" but suspect it was similar to the actual regulations. The Gallantry Medal you refer to and illustrate was replaced with the second type in the 1930's -I'll have to look for the exact date.

Owain.

I don't have a copy of this cancelled "regulations" but suspect it was similar to the actual regulations. The Gallantry Medal you refer to and illustrate was replaced with the second type in the 1930's -I'll have to look for the exact date.

Owain.

Do you have any information on how many types of Bravery Medals were made and issued during the kingdom of Iraq era. Do you know of a chart that might be published on the differences of the types by date would be great to see them.

Thank you

Lorenzo

Lorenzo,

Only two types and you have I believe examples of both.

Owain.

Owain

Thank you for confirming it for me, these are very scarce pieces.

Lorenzo

Owain I was wondering if you could share with us the information of the Al Nahda Medal stated in line 50. of the publication of Law #11 15 May 1926? Al Nahda Medal?? Lorenzo

Edited by IMHF

Lorenzo ,

This is the Order of the Renaissance of the Kingdom of the Hijaz - ruled by Faisal's father Hussain Bin Ali and then his brother Ali. After the Hijaz was taken over by Abdul Aziiz Al Saud (later king of Saudi Arabia) this order and the Hijazi Order of Independence became Transjordanian and latterly Jordanian awards under King Abullah - also a brother of Faisal.

Regards,

Owain

Lorenzo ,

This is the Order of the Renaissance of the Kingdom of the Hijaz - ruled by Faisal's father Hussain Bin Ali and then his brother Ali. After the Hijaz was taken over by Abdul Aziiz Al Saud (later king of Saudi Arabia) this order and the Hijazi Order of Independence became Transjordanian and latterly Jordanian awards under King Abullah - also a brother of Faisal.

Regards,

Owain

Is there a difference between the two, I seen one in Iraq on a twined rope which was enameled green, and the Jordanian made one was red. How can I determine which one is an Iraq Hijaz awarded Order??

Thank you so much for the wonderful help

Lorenzo

Is there a difference between the two, I seen one in Iraq on a twined rope which was enameled green, and the Jordanian made one was red. How can I determine which one is an Iraq Hijaz awarded Order??

Thank you so much for the wonderful help

Lorenzo

Yes, as you note they are two different orders - the former is a six sided award whilst the latter is a multirayed star.