News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal ribbons fade to white

Guest IMHF

post-3626-056041800 1290168793_thumb.jpg

I have recently bought a few Iraqi kingdom medals which came out of Baghdad, Iraq. I have a question about one of the medals. Near the Kurdish bar on both ends of the General Service Medal appears to be two faded white spots. I would like to know why this happens or is it possible that the dealer could have done something to the medal to age it.

Any information is great this will give me more advice before I think about buying more medals like this.

Thank you very much

Lorenzo

Since the light spots are not uniform or widespread, I doubt that they are fading. Somewhere along the way, the medal was probably cleaned with a chemical cleaning solution that caused bleaching where it hit the ribbon.

JB Floyd

Do you feel that the ribbon was tampered with to make it look more aged? Also do you know the value of these medals?

Thank You

Lorenzo

Either some type of a cleaning agent, possibly applied by the owner in service, or a reaction from the metal and dye applied to the ribbon, in my honest opinion its a sign of a genuine item.

Its not to detracting from the item, by the way what was it issued for?

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

• 2 months later...

I doubt the ribbon was artificially aged; it just touched a cleaning solution. I haven't looked at values of the various bars in a long time, so I'm way out of date on prices of Iraqi medals.

JB Floyd

Thank you very much, this is one of the rare medals in Iraqs military kingdom era. I am glad that I was able to find a complete one with the original ribbon. I have seen a few of these and most of them the ribbon was replaced.

Lorenzo

JB Floyd

Thank you very much, this is one of the rare medals in Iraqs military kingdom era. I am glad that I was able to find a complete one with the original ribbon. I have seen a few of these and most of them the ribbon was replaced.

Lorenzo

When is this medal? what time?

Lambert

Either some type of a cleaning agent, possibly applied by the owner in service, or a reaction from the metal and dye applied to the ribbon, in my honest opinion its a sign of a genuine item.

Its not to detracting from the item, by the way what was it issued for?

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Kevin in Deva.

Good to hear from you my fellow collector, how have you been doing? The medal is a GSM/ASM Officer Service medal. The Clasp is for battles that were fought in Iraq I was told that there were a total of 5 battles so 5 clasps were modified onto the medals. Ed Haynes has great information on these pieces along with Owain.

Thank you for your reply my brother

Lorenzo

Lorenzo,

A steep price to pay for what is stil not a too difificult medal to get and I am sure you already have one - overr GBP500 which is too much. Beware of forcing prices up!

The pale green is the orginal Iraqi issue ribbon and to my mind more attractive that the later dark green British issue/accepted ribbon.

I suspect the fading is just contact with metal over the years..........

Notwithstanding my moaning about your generosity to Iraqi dealers, you do a good job in keeping the iraqi interest going - many thanks,

Owain

Lorenzo,

A steep price to pay for what is stil not a too difificult medal to get and I am sure you already have one - overr GBP500 which is too much. Beware of forcing prices up!

The pale green is the orginal Iraqi issue ribbon and to my mind more attractive that the later dark green British issue/accepted ribbon.

Notwithstanding my moaning about your generosity to Iraqi dealers, you do a good job in keeping the iraqi interest going - many thanks,

Owain

Well said Owain, running around the world paying top dollar for everything you find certainly does little to help the realized value of items. It merely encourages the sellers to ask for more and more exhorbitant fee's because they know someone out there will pay it. All one has to do is log onto E-bay today and see the crazy priced Iraqi shoulder boards and the $100,000.00 Fedayeen helmet to witness proof of this. As there are very few collectors of Iraqi militaria it is we who should be setting the prices, and we should be careful in forcing these prices up prematurely.:cheers: Scott.

Lorenzo,

Owain

I know it was a fair price for the GSM/ASM medals, Owain I sent you an image of both medals before I bought them. I am very happy with the buy in the years of 1998-2005 they were called the golden years of collecting could have picked them up for $35.00 if you had a connection to Iraq in the 1990's that was when Iraqs Economy was almost bankrupt.

Thank you for the help on the ribbon issue.

Lorenzo

500 dollars? WOW! That is expensive. I thought it would be a while before we saw prices like that for Iraqi medals. How many of these were awarded?

Look again Paul, it's 500GBP which is $650.00USD! Scott.:speechless1:

Look again Paul, it's 500GBP which is $650.00USD! Scott.:speechless1:

I was not as lucky as some of the older collectors who bought them for $35.00-$45.00 when no one cared about Iraqi Medals and Orders, these days I get mad having to pay such high prices to make sure I have one in my collection. Owain if you have so many my brother why don't you sale me your for double what you paid, I will be happy to do so. Most of these GSM medals with clasps were during the Mesopotamia British Occupation Battles in Iraq. I seen 1 british medal that had a name on it sale for $300,000.00 How do you even know if it was not forged??

They are not going to be cheap for very long so now is the time to grab them before they are double then what they are being sold for now.

Dealers out of Iraq are selling the First Class Wisam al Rafidain Republic for $5,000 a set. I bought my 2 sets Civil and Military First Class Orders for $1,100.00-$800.00 2005-2006.

Iraqi Kingdom Orders of the Two Rivers where cheap, at a time, I bought my First Class Military for $1,000.00 from Liver Pool Medals in 2005 they were posted on the site for a long time and no one cared for them. I was just recently offered $3,500.00 for it from a friend in the U.K.

-Emadels wants $2000.00 for a Kingdom Second Class Neck Order I have 2 in my collection I paid $200-$350.00 for in 2005-2006

http://www.emedals.ca/catalog.asp?item=IO421

Take a look at these Prices> 2007 I wish I would have known about these before they sold!! (I would have paed double) still would not make up for what they are being sold for today.

http://www.icollector.com/Medal-IRAQ-ORDER-OF-EL-RAFIDAIN-ORDER-OF-THE-TWO-RIVERS_i6404411

http://www.icollector.com/Medal-IRAQ-ORDER-OF-EL-RAFIDAIN-ORDER-OF-THE-TWO-RIVERS_i6404412

http://www.icollector.com/Medal-IRAQ-ORDER-OF-EL-RAFIDAIN-ORDER-OF-THE-TWO-RIVERS_i6404413

http://www.icollector.com/Medal-IRAQ-ORDER-OF-EL-RAFIDAIN-ORDER-OF-THE-TWO-RIVERS_i6404414

Thank you for viewing;

Lorenzo

The price I paid was for the 2 GSM/ASM Medals Here is the second one.

Iraqi General Service Medal/Nut al-Khidmat al-Awal/First king Faisal I

Manufactured by:Vilidimier Sigal & Sons Baghdad

Lorenzo

The price I paid was for the 2 GSM/ASM Medals Here is the second one.

Iraqi General Service Medal/Nut al-Khidmat al-Awal/First king Faisal I

Manufactured by:Vilidimier Sigal & Sons Baghdad

Lorenzo

This firm was possibly owned by a Jewish Family that was considered an outcast in Iraq during the Uprising against the Jews in Iraq.

Lorenzo

More like $775 !
    Owain Stated GBP I paid with U.S. Dollars $650.00 for 2 medals. Thank you for your reply. Lorenzo Edited by IMHF