News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

duke of lancaster ?

Well the helmet plate looks like the Duke of Lancaster's but the rest of the helmet...

1. the plume holder base looks like a homemade job as the real deal had an Acanthus leaf base and plume holder
    2. I cannot make out the plume holder but sufficient to say that it is not correct
    3. the plume itself was white and not red
    4. there was a floriate metal band, in gilding metal, running around the helmet front to rear
    5. there was also a floriate backstrap

The example that I have seen has voiding around the floriate sprays of the helmet plate but this one could be an Other Rank's version, assuming that the HPs were different.

Stuart

Edited by Stuart Bates

Dan,

that is the helmet but I think the chinchain and rosettes are a later addition. They look to be from a Life or Horse Guards helmet.

A tailor's pattern book of 1859 states that "Helmet: Same as Staffordshire Yeomanry; gilt ornaments." In a little booklet I have the authors state that in 1857 the helmet was issued to the ORs and was of black japanned leather. They also say that the officers had metal helmets and that by 1865 all ranks had metal helmets.

The Staffordshire helmet, of which I have an example, has foliage on both the front and back peak as well as around the base of the helmet and the backstrap.

Kev, It is hard to know what to make of your example. There seems to be some damage to the helmet shell around the top of the crown and this could indicate a different helmet plate was previously fitted. With the plume, plume holder and its base all being wrong and the lack of any ornamental foliage I would not touch it.

Stuart

Stuart, that is one AWESOME helmet. Bet a requirement to join up with them was you had to like pretzels. cheeky.gif But seriously... these are not just helmets but works of art. I did run across many examples of the metal helmets you spoke of but the only one I could find in the leather was the one I posted.

Congrats on a fantastic example! beer.gif

Dan cheers.gif

Dan,

the one you posted is of metal construction. I was a little amazed that the narrative described the large dent as possibly being from a sword cut. A sword would have gone through these helmets as they were not that substantial.

It seems that leather helmets were worn by ORs from 1857 to 1865 max.

That is a good site which you located. I have never heard of it but as I am reduced to postal bids and am therefore on a hiding-to-nothing I just don't bother. Still get Bosley's catalogues though as they are a useful reference.

Cheers,

Stuart

Edited by Stuart Bates

Stuart, sorry bout that! unsure.gif I actually didn't read about it... just saw the pic matching the unit and grabbed it. speechless.gifI see now it's painted black. Sure looked like leather when I first spotted it. 2014.gif

But hoping it gave at least the basic idea.

But glad you like the site.beer.gif

Dan cheers.gif

Kev,

do you own the helmet or are you thinking of buying it? I guess the same question applies to the other two that you posted. Just interested.

Stuart

stuart unfortunatly i own them but trying to sell ? not really my thing....kev

• 4 weeks later...