News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

from school-teacher to machine-gunner

The Erkennungsmarke of Hugo Friese.

Hugo Friese was born on July 8, 1881 - in 1903 he became school-teacher in the small village of Bösenrode. He retired in 1940.

During WWI Friese served with:

- Landwehr-Infanterie-Regiment 1 - Rekruten-Depot in Pillau (Ostpreussen)

- 7. Komp./Grenadier-Regiment Nr.3

- 2. Maschinen-Gewehr-Kompanie, Grenadier-Regiment Nr.3

post-1062-096377000 1291480977_thumb.jpg

post-1062-078054400 1291480997_thumb.jpg

Edited by Naxos

S'funny, I usually assume teachers would have been made officers.

Given what I have read about German school teachers of the period, I think drill sergeants is more like it.

Hardy,

Very nice tag!

Chip

Don't you think that it reads Landwehr-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 1 and not Lehr? L.I.R. 1 was formed in East Prussia and initially subordinated to the Fortress Garrisons of Königsberg and Pillau.

Regards

Glenn

Edited by Glenn J

Don't you think that it reads Landwehr-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 1 and not Lehr? L.I.R. 1 was formed in East Prussia and initially subordinated to the Fortress Garrisons of Königsberg and Pillau.

Regards

Glenn

Glenn, quite possible;. I couldn't find anything regarding Landwehr-Infantrie-Regiment 1 and usually we find Landwehr as Lw and Lehr as L abbreviated.

Lehr-I.R. also was garrisoned in Königsberg and surroundings.

Edited by Naxos

Hardy,

I get the impression that Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 3 had some association with Landwehr-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 1: L.I.R 1's first commander, Oberstleutnant Georg zur Megede, was the second in command of Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 3 in 1914.

Regards

Glenn

Hardy,

I get the impression that Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 3 had some association with Landwehr-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 1: L.I.R 1's first commander, Oberstleutnant Georg zur Megede, was the second in command of Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 3 in 1914.

Regards

Glenn

Thanks Glenn!

Makes sense -

Hardy

Edited by Naxos

Regards

Glenn

I believe you are right - I have corrected my initial post.

Thanks

Hardy

Edited by Naxos

Hardy,

Friese is not an uncommon name and I have been looking through the Militär-Wochenblatt for a gazetting of a promotion to Leutnant in either Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 3 or Landwehr-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 1. I have yet to find a suitable "suspect", although I have yet to index a sizebale chunk of both 1917 and 1918. I would have thought, that if he was commissioned, it would have been to the rank of Leutnant der Landwehr.

Regards

Glenn

Hardy,

Friese is not an uncommon name and I have been looking through the Militär-Wochenblatt for a gazetting of a promotion to Leutnant in either Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 3 or Landwehr-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 1. I have yet to find a suitable "suspect", although I have yet to index a sizebale chunk of both 1917 and 1918. I would have thought, that if he was commissioned, it would have been to the rank of Leutnant der Landwehr.

Regards

Glenn

Appreciate your efforts Glenn

I agree, I have another Volksschulleher that was recalled to the Landwehr in 1914, he was a Vizefeldwebel until promoted to Leutnant d.Lw in 1916.