News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Someone asked me a few weeks ago why we go to the trouble of posting photos of old Colonies and Regiments ? The answer is very simple - yes, there are many individual books on the subjects - however, as collectors we often have access to unknown sources. These details may well throw new light on uniforms and ceremonial issues - and therefore, our small efforts may well be of importance in the future ?

Using South Africa and Rhodesia as examples - already their old customs, uniforms and equipment have been discontinued and in a few years will be forgotten.

These photos came in years ago - and to be honest - had been forgotten. I think there must be a link between the Gold Coast Regt. and this ceremony in Bechuanland. The Gold Coast photos are from 1920 - these are about 1910 (or, a little earlier) - perhaps it is the same person - or, a Father or Brother ?

The Bechuanaland Protectorate was established in 1884 as part of our Colonial expansionist period - our thinking being that we didn't want Germany or, France being near South Africa. Basically, Cecil Rhodes had the tacit backing of the British Govt. when he established Rhodesia - and for the same purpose.

Now known as Botswana - since independence in 1966 - the location is at the top of South Africa - running West from the Rhodesian Border . The area used to include part of the Orange Free State and it's administrative HQ was at Mafeking. After the Boer Boer it shrunk in size to it's present Borders. Some of the best Game Parks left in Africa are within it's Territory and I always regret not visiting when I was able. Many British people will remember the 'scandal' in the 1940's/50's when it's African tribal leader - Sir Seretse Khama married his young English bride - Ruth. They had a very happy marriage and his son is now the President - although he is rather contraversial and causing some trouble with his people.

The photos are self explanatory - the Governor of the Northern Protectorate - based in Francistown (now Gaberone), appears to be having a reception for local dignitaries and then goes on to present medals and awards to Police and Military. They are wearing a dress similar to the King's African Rifles - however, they were only in East Africa, so this would be a local Force. The Governor was known as the Assistant Commissioner and he was also the Resident Magustrate. From 1907 to 1923 he was a Mr. Daniel.

post-6209-080974600 1291566147_thumb.jpg

The above picture shows the Governor in front of an early handcranked camera - they were filming the ceremony. This makes me think it may have been in honour of the 1910 Coronation of George 5th.

This photo shows the troops marching past in Review Order. The Governor is in the ceremonial blue uniform with bi-corne hat and feathers. His military aide - or, is it the Parade Commander, stands behind in army uniform

post-6209-083745300 1291566683_thumb.jpg

Hello Mervyn,

To your statement about why we (well, not "we" including me) post such photos you are spot on. I find these shots of such ceremonies most interesting. I like to look at the secondary characters to see their impressions and expressions when they are clear enough to see.

Thank you for posting them.

Regards

Brian

Timothy - had I seen the photos on their own, then I would probably have agreed with you about West Africa. I lived for two years in Sierra Leone and the style has WA influences. However, most of East Africa dressed similarly at that time - really the Moorish influence from the Gulf.

The other thing that would have made me wonder is that they all look so miserable - and people from Botswans are not generally like that. Perhaps thay wern't too keen on the British ?

The envelope had Bechuanaland written on the front - but no other identification. There was also an early photo of an officer in bush kit - we have his name so I will post it on historical photos and see if anyone can trace who he was.

• 1 month later...

Mervyn

Thank you for posting these images - with all the medals on display I think that this is a post-Great War ceremony.

Bechuanaland, I believe, only ever had a small police force.

My instincts tell me that these photos were taken in West Africa, and a research colleague of mine who is an expert on that theatre suggests that this might be the Gold Coast Regiment (GCR) on parade at Kumasi Fort.

If you dig deep you should be able to find out details of post-WW 1 colour presentations to the GCR and then identify the Commanding and Presenting Officers.

Please keep your flow of interesting images coming.

Harry

Mervyn

Excellent photos! Just an observation but the two photos showing the drum head altar appear to show the Colours being carried and then resting on the drums in their cases? Difficult to see exactly and know which order the photos were taken in but seems strange to have them cased?

Simon

Harry - the concensus of opinion seems to be for Ghana - and that does tie in with the pictures of the Gold Coast Regt. which I posted earlier. They were in the same envelope. I think it is great that we have been able to discuss and change original opinions - as I said earlier - hopefully, we are providing some guidance for future collectors. Thankyou Timothy for being the first to alert us.

Simon - I wondered why the colours were cased for the ceremony - but open for the Governor ? From your comments as an ex-Guardsman that is obviously unusual. Perhaps they thought it would rain ?

I will ask Nick to change the title of this post to reflect the Goldcoast.

Many thanks everyone for the help and info..