News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Guys,

Need some help here. Short and sweet - is this a real PAB 25? I'm a Luftwaffe fellow so I basically am in the dark on these. This piece is being offered to me within a trade, so I just want to be sure it is OK before I commit to the whole deal. Thanks for any help you can provide!

ERIC

[attachmentid=21903]

It looks ok to me but there are some very good fakes. The number box is good and everything else seems to match known originals. Hopefully you get some more answers.

Don

Thank you Don for your reply! Can anyone else offer up their opinion towards this one? I just want to be comfortable with it for I will be offering it for sale if I complete the trade. Any more help will be appreciated. Thanks!

ERIC

Hi Eric, sorry for the delay. The badge looks like a good JFS. The only odd part is the pin is not "textbook" for this badge/maker. Pin looks a little heavy, wider and not quite long enough. I see no obvious faults with the badge itself... everything I look for on the front seems correct. Hopefully, Mike K. will weigh in soon!

Hi Eric,

Sorry for the delay, I've been on holidays for a week.

Not an easy one to evaluate from these pics.

Cab you confirm that the tank is indeed a separate piece? It almost appears to be cast with the wreath but may only be the small pics and angle of the badge.

I realise the badge appears to have some oxidisation, however there are some areas of poor/deformed detail. Also, on the reverse, where the tank tracks protrude beyond the wreath, I do not recall seeing the tracks of known genuine examples in profile as they are here. The area behind the swas almost appear flush/flat on this example, whereas on genuine examples there should be a sharp edged relief in this area.

The main pin does not look correct as Rick has indicated. Also, I think the catch is too long and too narrow and the offset "rounded-rectangular" footprint around the catchmound is very poorly defined on this example. Any chance of an image of the catch profile - taken from the bottom of the badge?

For me, the inner rim of the number box apears too thick compared to originals. Obverse acorn deail looks poor from the pic and the maker mark, although offset which can be OK, appears to have poor detail. One of the latest good repros shares this poorly formed maker mark.

From these images, I have some strong doubts about this example.

Regards

Mike

Some pics highlighting some questionable areas.

Edited by Mike K

Hello Mike,

Thanks for the info. The tank is indeed a seperate piece - as a matter of fact on of the rivits are broken, so the tank is loose. The scalloped reverse to the swaz is there as well. Just crappy scans. The badge is actually a lot better than the scans show. I have sent you a PM regarding this badge. Thanks to everyone for their views.

ERIC