News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help also needed for an other Chinese medal

Veteran

This is the incomplete reverse of the previous medal.

post-2990-044998000 1294021846_thumb.jpg

What period would it be ? Its exact title would also be nice to know. Every bit of information will be gratefully received.

Very best wishes for 2011. May this New Year be a wonderful collecting period for all members of this fine forum.

Veteran

It is the Xu Shuzheng Merit Medal 56x43mm in size. On the obverse should be a portrait/photograph of Xu Shuzheng surrounded by a red enameled border with a Chinese inscription reading: "10th of October (Double Ten Day) the 7th year of the Republic of China, the 2nd President Xu Shuzheng Inaugeration Commemorative Medal. The missing ribbon should be 37mm wide red with white edges. The suspension is a cloud suspension. The reverse has two crossed Republic flags joined by a rope at the crossing of six sheaves of wheat. The characters at the top read: "Commemorative medal.

Richard

It is the Xu Shuzheng Merit Medal 56x43mm in size. On the obverse should be a portrait/photograph of Xu Shuzheng surrounded by a red enameled border with a Chinese inscription reading: "10th of October (Double Ten Day) the 7th year of the Republic of China, the 2nd President Xu Shuzheng Inaugeration Commemorative Medal. The missing ribbon should be 37mm wide red with white edges. The suspension is a cloud suspension. The reverse has two crossed Republic flags joined by a rope at the crossing of six sheaves of wheat. The characters at the top read: "Commemorative medal.

Richard

Sorry. He was a Northern War Lord and not an officially appointed President of the Republic. If the characterssuggest it was his innaugeration that would be incorrect. It may have been his commemoration of the original inaugeration. Someone with a better understanding of Chinese needs to step in here and straighten this out,

Richard

When did they shift to the "gear-wheel" flag, Richard? Your post suggests this medal dates from 1918.

Best,

Hugh

Edited by Hugh

i think that the crossed flag used by Republic of China from 1912-1928, and after 1928 RoC using white-sun, blue sky and red flag..

windu

That is correct. According to the medal it would be 1918. so your assumption is correct. In 1918 he was a Warlord and founded the Anfu club which was the political arm of the Anhui clique which at that time had won three-fourths of the seats in the National Assembly. In 1919 Xu assumed command of the Northwest Frontier Defense Army, which invaded newly independent Outer Mongolia in October. On November 17th, he forced Outer Mongolia to withdraw its declaration of autonomy, thus temporarily bringing Mongolia back under the control of China.He was later assasinated, He was a very colorful guy and died at the ripe old age of 45 on December 1925. This makes the medal a very significant part of China's Republic history, I don't know the meaning of "gear wheel flag" The flags pictured are the traditional flags of the Republic and have the stripes that represent the ethnic groups that make up the Republic. Hope this helps.

Richard

Thanks to all of you.

I am more grateful than I can say, since I just don't know who else could have supplied such detailed and precise information.

My very best wishes for this brand New Year.

Veteran

That is correct. According to the medal it would be 1918. so your assumption is correct. In 1918 he was a Warlord and founded the Anfu club which was the political arm of the Anhui clique which at that time had won three-fourths of the seats in the National Assembly. In 1919 Xu assumed command of the Northwest Frontier Defense Army, which invaded newly independent Outer Mongolia in October. On November 17th, he forced Outer Mongolia to withdraw its declaration of autonomy, thus temporarily bringing Mongolia back under the control of China.He was later assasinated, He was a very colorful guy and died at the ripe old age of 45 on December 1925. This makes the medal a very significant part of China's Republic history, I don't know the meaning of "gear wheel flag" The flags pictured are the traditional flags of the Republic and have the stripes that represent the ethnic groups that make up the Republic. Hope this helps.

Richard

If you wish to see an illustration of the obverse there is an example in A.N.S. part 3, Morton and Eden, 26 April 2007, lot 130.

All the best,

Paul

If you wish to see an illustration of the obverse there is an example in A.N.S. part 3, Morton and Eden, 26 April 2007, lot 130.

All the best,

Paul

Hello Paul

Thank you so much. That is just what I was looking for : I could not locate it in that catalogue which I thought I remembered had one.

Since the obverse of this ruin is missing and the catalogue had the complete obverse illustrated, I just could not put two an two together.

I hope this finds you well. Very best wishes for this 2011 !!

Paul

This is the incomplete reverse of the previous medal.

post-2990-044998000 1294021846_thumb.jpg

What period would it be ? Its exact title would also be nice to know. Every bit of information will be gratefully received.

Very best wishes for 2011. May this New Year be a wonderful collecting period for all members of this fine forum.

Veteran

This is a photo of the obverse. It can be seen on the OMSA medal data base. It is shown here through the courtesy of the Hoover Institution, Stanford University.

Richard

post-3065-063969800 1294163537_thumb.jpg

Richard

Gear wheel refers to the shape of the white sun, symbol of the Kuo Min Tang. I think US servicemen called it that. At least that's where I first heard it.

Gear wheel refers to the shape of the white sun, symbol of the Kuo Min Tang. I think US servicemen called it that. At least that's where I first heard it.

Hello Hugh. Good to hear from you as always and yes, I understand your term. Thanks for reminding me. This is a very interesting medal primarily due to the history of the subject depicted. He was by far, one of the most influential Warlords during his short life span.

Dick

When did they shift to the "gear-wheel" flag, Richard? Your post suggests this medal dates from 1918.

Best,

Hugh

Never heard of that term before. Usually I hear "star" more often (although still incorrect). The flag was in existance before 1928, but after the reunification of China, it was made the official national flag.

The previous flag, with the five colored bars, represented each race in China. I can't remember all of them, but it is on wikipedia. It was used after 1911. The Manchuko government also used this flag but as a canton with a yellow field. I am not sure if they used the full flag.

Good find though Veteran, too bad the part is missing, although looks in good condition.