News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What does E.A.A.W. Mean

East African [Police] Air Wing ?

" " Army Welfare ?

The race/gender of the recipient may be significant: what is the full naming around the rim?

It's named to an African. It's odd because in Gordon's (or Spink's now) it's not listed and that's usually a good source on what units were issued the medals.

Thanks in advance to all for your help.

Cheers,

beer.gif

Haven't given up yet. I just know we'll find it. From what I've seen it only seems to be on the ones issued to native troops. Will keep trying. beer.gif

Dan cheers.gif

Yes, and his service number has an "AW" prefix. The AGS is accompanied by a '39 Star, Africa Star, Defense and War Medal too. They're all loosely mounted in a "contemporary" style that looks as if it were done by him.

Thanks very much guys!!!

beer.gif

'Air Wing' has possibilities - the Rhodesian Air Force called their reserve units an air wing.

However, now that you have mentioned his WW2 entitlement, there has to be the possibility of a labour battalion. We had such named units in Sth. Africa and it is a fact of life, that at that time many units of indigenous people were formed to provide ready labour. Could it be something along the lines of - 'Army Workforce'?

'Air Wing' has possibilities - the Rhodesian Air Force called their reserve units an air wing.

However, now that you have mentioned his WW2 entitlement, there has to be the possibility of a labour battalion. We had such named units in Sth. Africa and it is a fact of life, that at that time many units of indigenous people were formed to provide ready labour. Could it be something along the lines of - 'Army Workforce'?

Hi and thank you very much. I was wondering if perhaps the AW prefix to his service number meant "Army Worker" or something along those lines. I don't suspect that there are any records of those men who served in N. Africa or elsewhere, which is a shame, but nonetheless, it's an interesting mounted group. I'll keep digging and thanks for the lead. Happy New Year.

I guess this is the group to AW.550 11 Sisia Kesa, E.A.A.W. ?

The AW prefix probably indicates nothing more than a block number issued to a member of the E.A.A.W.

Is the "11" impressed separately from "AW.550" as shown above ?

Lot 797 in the Spink auction of Thursday 19 July 2007 was:

Africa General Service 1902-56, E.II.R., one clasp, Kenya (2)

(AW.234 SW. Mutti Kituu. E.A.A.W.; F.4294 Const.

Muindi. Waita), very fine or better (2) Estimate £40-50

Edited by Archer

I guess this is the group to AW.550 11 Sisia Kesa, E.A.A.W. ?

The AW prefix probably indicates nothing more than a block number issued to a member of the E.A.A.W.

Is the "11" impressed separately from "AW.550" as shown above ?

Yes, that's the one, and you have the same info I have. Again any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Hi, not sure if this helps in any way...but, the Kenya clasp was awarded for anti Mau Mau operations in the 50's and I know that the (Colonial) Kenya Police had an Air Wing, which was used against the Mau Mau.

Does anyone know the meaning of E.A.A.W.? I think it's East Africa ? ? as it's on an AGS with Kenya bar.

Thanks in advance.

Azyeoman

beer.gif

I'm pretty certain it E.A.A.W. is for the East African Air Wing and here's a link to a site that has info on it. It's really interesting. beer.gif

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1954/1954%20-%203060.html

Very interesting!

Right now I think E stands for Emergency, one of the A's for Auxiliary or Assistant or some such, the other for African, and the W for some kind of mustering like Warden, Warder or Worker. Note that the medal to Mutti Kituu is named SW while the medal to Sisia Kesa is [probably] named W [not 11].

I'm holding the medal and it's named exactly like this:

AW. 550 11. SISIA KESA. E.A.A.W.

I haven't a clue as to what AW means or why there is a space between 550 and 11. If anyone can shed light on this, it would be greatly appreciated. Does anyone know how many AGS were given to local troops more commonly known as "native" troops? Lastly, what do you experts out there regard as the best book to read about the Mau Mau Rebellion? I'd like to read the most comprehensive one that gives good information down to the battalion level if possible. Thanks in advance. beer.gif