News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Persia Homayoun Lion & Sun Grand cross

Markus

Persia Homayoun Lion and Sun Grand Cross

Pahlavi period 1925-41

A new system of official honors was instituted by the Pahlavi dynasty. The Lion and Sun decoration was continued, with major modifications, from the Qajar period. The five classes of the Lion and sun for civilians persisted under the name Homayoun. The Homayoun was a simplified and modernized version of the original Qajar Lion and sun. The badge consisted of a central medallion bearing an enameled disk of the lion with upraised sword andthe rising sun, framed within a six-pointed star; the star was a similar badgesuperimposed upon a sunburst with eight points; the third class consisted only of the star, without the badge. The first class was worn with a green sash bordered in red stripes, the second class suspended from a red-bordered green ribbon by means of a rosette. There was also a Homayoun medal, with three grades, of gold, silver, and bronze, intended for lower-ranking civil servants. In the last decades of the Pahlavi dynasty it ceased to be awarded. The breast badges with the eight enameled green rays were the first type issued and later breast badges had no enameled rays. The manufacture of this posted breast cross medal was the French firm Arthus Bertrand.

Any additional information and photos pertaining to this order would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Marcus

Edited by Markus

Thanks Lorenzo!

I love your Iraq military collection and have read all your posts. I recently purchased an El Rafidain Breast star and commander cross from the Kingdom era. They are getting quite hard to come by and the prices have zoomed up. I think that order goes way to the top of my list of the most beautiful orders ever made. Keep us updated on your great collection!

Regards,

Marcus

Very nice Piece :cheers:

Lorenzo

• 3 weeks later...

Persia Homayoun Lion and Sun Grand Cross

Pahlavi period 1925-41

A new system of official honors was instituted by the Pahlavi dynasty. The Lion and Sun decoration was continued, with major modifications, from the Qajar period. The five classes of the Lion and sun for civilians persisted under the name Homayoun. The Homayoun was a simplified and modernized version of the original Qajar Lion and sun. The badge consisted of a central medallion bearing an enameled disk of the lion with upraised sword andthe rising sun, framed within a six-pointed star; the star was a similar badgesuperimposed upon a sunburst with eight points; the third class consisted only of the star, without the badge. The first class was worn with a green sash bordered in red stripes, the second class suspended from a red-bordered green ribbon by means of a rosette. There was also a Homayoun medal, with three grades, of gold, silver, and bronze, intended for lower-ranking civil servants. In the last decades of the Pahlavi dynasty it ceased to be awarded. The breast badges with the eight enameled green rays were the first type issued and later breast badges had no enameled rays. The manufacture of this posted breast cross medal was the French firm Arthus Bertrand.

Any additional information and photos pertaining to this order would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Marcus

Marcus,

Thanks for posting this lovely image.

The Order of Humayoun (which means' the August') was an entirely new order and had nothing to do with the earlier Qajar Order of the Lion and Sun.

Although the image of the Lion and Sun was used for the new order, this is a national symbol and used in many instances. On the contrary, that Order of the Lion and Sun had become so discredited and so associated with corruption that everybody, the Pahlavis and even the last Qajar Shah wanted to drop any association with it. Indeed, if one looks at the Humayun, the only link is in the use of the Iranian national symbol, though even then the illustration is very different. The ribbon, shape of the badges and stars, classes, method of wear, are all different.

For comparative purposes if one looks at the British system of honours, the use of the St George symbol (and even name) for the George Cross, George Medal or the Order of St Michael and St George does not mean that all of these are part of the Order of the Garter!

Cheers,

James Hoard

Marcus,

Thanks for posting this lovely image.

The Order of Humayoun (which means' the August') was an entirely new order and had nothing to do with the earlier Qajar Order of the Lion and Sun.

Although the image of the Lion and Sun was used for the new order, this is a national symbol and used in many instances. On the contrary, that Order of the Lion and Sun had become so discredited and so associated with corruption that everybody, the Pahlavis and even the last Qajar Shah wanted to drop any association with it. Indeed, if one looks at the Humayun, the only link is in the use of the Iranian national symbol, though even then the illustration is very different. The ribbon, shape of the badges and stars, classes, method of wear, are all different.

For comparative purposes if one looks at the British system of honours, the use of the St George symbol (and even name) for the George Cross, George Medal or the Order of St Michael and St George does not mean that all of these are part of the Order of the Garter!

Cheers,

James Hoard

Thanks James for your addition. It is very hard to find substantial info on this order. The info I have posted was pulled off an Iranian site. I really love the enamel work on this order and admire the simplicity of the design.

Regards,

Marcus

• 11 months later...

Here is another version of this order courtesy of Babar. The 360 degrees sun rays and bearded lion are fantastic! Usually they were made by Bertrand in Paris. I have seen the breast star with green ray, no green rays, and a bearded lion with 360 degree sun rays.

Edited by Markus

• 1 month later...

"The 360 degrees sun rays... fantastic"

It's rare, yes. I don't believe this is some special grade, I'm sure this is just [one of] the earliest versions of this order - maybe the earliest one. NB the Sun here (on Hermann Historica's and Babar's images) still has face - like Qajarian LS-emblem. The later Homayouns received ground under the lion but the Sun lost its face.