News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

KENYA ORDER OF THE BURNING SPEAR

heusy68

Hello Gentlemen,I began this topic about Kenya Order of the Burning Spear by posting again the photo of General Jeremiah Kianga Chief of Staff of the Army of Kenya.His breast star of C.B.S ( Chief Burning Spear) is clear on his breast.

The Order of the Burning Spear is a 3 Classes Order ( Chief ,Elder and Moran which goes with the post nominal letters C.B.S., then E.B.S., then M.B.S. )

I also include here a picture of Admiral Joseph R.E. Kibwana from the Kenya Navy ( Elder Burning Spear E.B.S. & Elder Golden Heart E.G.H).

The Order of the Golden Heart will be on the next post,so please if someone else want to post a picture or an insignia he own,it would be better to do it in the correct section.

Emmanuel

This is a set of insignia of Elder Burning Spear ( E.B.S.) the 2nd rank of this Order.

The elder rank of the Order of the Burning Spear is always a breast star AND a neck badge !!!

Some insignia have been seen separately on dealer list.

This set came from an auction,and was in its case of issue by Spink.

Emmanuel

It seems that the earlier insignia of the Moran of the Burning Spear (made by Spink) had a silvered center.

This insignia was awarded to a General of the Yugoslav Army and his from the collection of a fellow.

Emmanuel

At a time I had in hands this strange breast star produced by Drechsler of Munchen.It was said it is from Kenya and the letter on the back assert it.

Was it a proof items that was not approved.Or an attempt of Daniel Arap Moi to change the insignia in the late 70ies ?

Who knows is welcome to post his thought.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Here you can see Maj Gen. Tangai from the Kenya Air Force,and I hope the link below will works.

Maj Gen Tangai was awarded E.B.S.( Elder Burning Spear) & M.G.H. (Moran Golden Heart).

I have re-size the picture a bit larger,so I hope those whoi have good eyes as I do will see his right breast star clearly has on its center a "lion rampant" holding a spear (Elder rank).

The other breast star he's wearing (the gilded one at left) is to my opinion another method to wear the Moran rank (not as a commander,but as a breast star).Anyway it seems that the outer center is black enamel with a cockrell on center.Watch the topic on Order of the Golden Heart where I have included a picture of Moran of the Golden Heart.

http://www.mod.go.ke/kafcmd.htm

You may found another link on Lieut Gen. julius Karangi from the Kenya Air Force :

http://www.mod.go.ke/?page_link=vcgs

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

• 2 years later...
    • 3 years later...
    • 11 months later...

Same remark as on the post on Golden Heart Order. Despite photographic research, there is no evidence that this type of award was ever awarded.

I really hope that someone will bring a clue to lights this mystery, maybe someone who worked for Drechsler in Munich at that time.

Emmanuel

• 4 years later...

Spinks sale 21001 has a couple of examples of this variant as well:

Lot 1038, Chief 21001_1038_1.thumb.jpg.1ea00d999a554d7f3747d09414d0f964.jpg

Lot 1039, Moran.21001_1039_1.thumb.jpg.90bc6f4d8cc67dc7052b86efff3a3a67.jpg

There do seem to be quite a lot in the wild, so it would be interesting to find out if they were ever actually awarded.

Edited by Megan