News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Transitional ?Assmann? Pilot's Badge.

Arrived today is this transitional piece by F.W Assmann. The badge consists of a 1st pattern eagle combined with a thin early 2nd pattern wreath.

These pieces are normally found unmarked due to the fact that pure 1st pattern examples were marked on the reverse of the wreath and 2nd pattern examples were marked on the reverse of the eagle? Combine a 1st pattern eagle with a 2nd pattern wreath ? no maker marks!

Looking at the right-hand rivet one would think that it had been repaired, not so?Possibly down to human error; this type of rivet is relatively common and can be found throughout the ?Assmann? range.

Hi John,

Great pieces! That Pilot is definately an Assmann hybrid, no doubt. I've seen that 'alternate' rivit before as well on some 2nd pattern Assmanns'. I think that the hybrid looks better than the first or second patterns as a whole! Leave some of the good ones for me! :( Seriously JTW, super addition to the collection!

ERIC :cheers:

• 1 month later...

Hi Eric,

Picked up a few photo's of awards in wear and this was one of them. I may have a pic of a 1st pattern Deumer Obs too. Have a look and let me know what you think. I first thought it to be a 1st pat Assmann but the right wing has the characteristics of the Deumer. I'll post it on the thread about your Deumer Obs.

All good fun... :D

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5070