News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

BAYONET FOR UZI

Mervyn Mitton

I've never quite understood why a small sub-machinegun such as the Israeli UZI requires a bayonet ? I would have thought the purpose of a quick firing gun was to keep enemies at a distance - in fact, I suspect that it was probably more used as a sheath knife then as a fixed bayonet.

Never-the-less, this bayonet fixes in a normal manner to the muzzle - and altogether there are three patterns of the bayonet. I think that this one -with the steel grips - is the first ? Perhaps someone can confirm this ? Also, does anyone know if other sub-machineguns are fitted with bayonets ?

There are no markings - the length overall is 30.5 cm (12 1/2 "). The blade is 16.8 cm (6 3/4"). Some blueing still on blade.

Also, does anyone know if other sub-machineguns are fitted with bayonets ?

Hello Mervyn!

The Swedish m/45 sub-machinegun could be fitted with a bayonet if you changed some parts. The bayonet was an off-the-shelf solution - it was the old Mauser 6,5 mm carbine m/94 pattern, and to my knowledge the SMG-bayonet combination was used for guard/ceremonial duty only. See link (about half-way down the page) for an image. Wasn't there a bayonet for the Sten-gun too?

/Jonas

It reminds me of one of the FN FAL bayonets, with the metal handle.

Also, yes, the sten had a bayonet, it was the standard WWII spike and it looked like the spike was welded to a large piece of pipe that fit over the barrel's hand guard. Another model of sten had lugs so the that standard WWII spike bayonet could be used, if memory serves me.

Regards

Brian